Lower Spreader Jib Tears

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
wingman

Lower Spreader Jib Tears

Post by wingman »

After three years of hard sailing, mostly racing, I had a small tear in the jib where it hit the lower spreader as I tacked. Sail tape did not help, so I sent it back to Biereg for a patch. He put on a white (probably dacron) patch, but after three sails (wind 15 - 20 each time) it ripped again right at the top of the patch. I have sent it back, but I think he may have to replace the whole section and then reinforce the area. I am also going to put a spreader pad on the lower spreader like the one I have on the upper spreader (for downwind). They are PERIMETER BY TAYLOR MADE Spreader Boots from West Marine.

Meantime, I am without a headsail, except a screacher and spinnaker. I do not think that wearing ship when one needs to tack is the best way to sail!

Anyone who has an extra jib that fits the Telstar 28 that he wants to sell? I am also checking the internet for one that has the right measurements. I may use it also as an off-season and cruising jib to save the other sail for racing.

John
Dan

Lower Spreader Jib Tears

Post by Dan »

If your sail is tearing above the patch, and actually isn't tearing due to contact, it sounds like the cloth is pretty UV-damaged and has lost a lot of its strength.

Just curious, did you replace the Tedlar UV laminate with an actual sunbrella sacrificial strip or use a genoa sock to protect the sail from UV? If not, that well may be the cause of your problem.
Mark

Lower Spreader Jib Tears

Post by Mark »

I have the maxx laminate sails and just had to have them repaired and new UV protection for the genoa added as the sails were degrading. The top spreader went through the genoa. I also had a lot of leach damage on the main; presumably due to a poorly set double reef. An expensive lesson ($700) in UV sensitivity and the true cost of sailing in 27 kt winds on Pamlico sound!

Mark