Vertical clearance or Mast Height above water

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
dcarl

Post by dcarl »

What is the Mast Height above water on the Telstar 28? The Manual says the mast is 35’ long and I’ve seen 35’ 6” for mast height above deck but what is the Vertical clearance or Mast Height above water? I thought I saw 41’ ft somewhere but I can’t find it now.

Be nice to know when approaching a bridge.

David

Shockwave #327
Pensacola, FL
Mark

Post by Mark »

It would be great if someone has actually measured it. If the mast is 35 feet (that is what Tony told me), and there is 6' of headroom in the cabin, and the arial on top of the mast is 2? feet then the the total is 43' give or take a foot.

Mark
Ron

Post by Ron »

Specs say mast is 35 feet long, and "P" is listed at 32 feet. The height of the mast above water is probably in the 42 foot range with the antenna and wind transducer factored in. 6 feet of headroom includes nearly 1 foot under the water line. Maybe one of you up north with the mast down could measure it's exact length to verify this. There are a few "tall rigs" out there too.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
dcarl

Post by dcarl »

I really don't have any questions about the mast length, manual says 35 ft. Vertical Clearance in the water concerns me. I feel confident it's 43 ft or less but it's strange that the manual doesn't address it. I going down to Charlotte Harbor to sail in mid Feb. and there's a 45 ft bridge I'll pass under.

David
Shockwave #327
Pensacola Fl
Ron

Post by Ron »

David -

Unless you're launching at Laishly Park, there is no reason to go under the 41 or 75 bridges. Not much water and narrow channels east of the 41 bridge. I've never done it in the Telstar, but I'm sure I can. Nothing there to go to, other than Navigators which is about 10 miles up the Peace River. Better to do that in a pontoon or flats boat.
Ron Marcuse
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

David,
Peregrine is on the trailer, shrink wrapped and surrounded by a couple feet of snow so measurements are a little rough.
Mast measures about 36' so I would say the spec of 35' is correct (I do not have the "tall" mast). this was a "rough measurement"
From the Mast step on the deck down to just under the waterline on the hull is about 5'
So 35 +5+1 (antenna) is 41' - the 43' you are using has some safety factor in it but not much.
dcarl

Post by dcarl »

We do plan on launching at the Laishly Park boat ramp, chart shows 45ft vertical clearance on the bridges west of there.

/David Carl
Ron

Post by Ron »

David:

Let me know when you plan to do this. I can help if I'm here. I will probably be at the Miami boat show sometime between Feb 17 and 21 - not sure which days yet. Another owner may fly down here for a few days around then to escape the weekly blizzards in NJ. But it's COLD down here too - we had a few days where the high temp didn't get above 65. Brrrrrrr!

Note that there will be some pretty low tides before noon that week. Laishley is pretty good, but you may have to launch later in the afternoon (say after 2:00 or 3:00 PM?). Ponce would be too shallow earlier in the day. By the way, can you leave the trucks and trailers at Laishey?
Ron Marcuse