Jordan Series Drogue

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
jeff432

Jordan Series Drogue

Post by jeff432 »

Dan, Thanks for posting this link (http://jordanseriesdrogue.com/) on yor blog. I was wondering if you purchased one? What was the recommended size for the Telstar's displacement? Sounds much improved over a para-anchor. Where would you attach it aft? Bridle to sides of centrall hull due to significant loads?
Dan

Jordan Series Drogue

Post by Dan »

Hey Jeff—

Glad you found the link useful. Don Jordan, whom I’ve had the pleasure of speaking to personally, is an interesting character. What he recommended for the Telstar was the smallest multihull drogue, which has 130 cones on 270' of line, and is made of 5/8" line tapering to ½" for the last 75 cones.

I did get one for the Pretty Gee. I’ve tested it using the stern cleats, but I am investigating where to add chainplates to use specifically for the JSD. I am actually thinking that the akas might make a better attachment point, rather than the amas or the main hull. The main hull isn’t really wide enough for the JSD bridle to function properly IMHO, based on some of my conversations with Don Jordan. He recommends getting as wide a base for the bridle as possible, but the folding design makes that a compromise.
jeff432

Jordan Series Drogue

Post by jeff432 »

I can understand the desire for a wide bridle base. Any idea how much of the load force pulling away from the boat is transferred from the single line to a vector force pushing or pinching the bridle ends together? Chain plates sound like a good idea, but location of the plates is clearly key, and that's what I am wondering about with the folding design....
Dan

Jordan Series Drogue

Post by Dan »

The compression forces on the bridle mount points are one reason I’m looking at the akas as my choice of mounting points for the JSD chain plates. I think that making a chainplate that bolts to the inner intermediate part of the akas, which would give me about 9' as a base for the bridle, versus more like 4' for the main hull at the transom. I’d also go a bit longer on the bridle than the normally recommend 2.5x of the width. Going with 3-3.5x the width for the bridle would put the bridle attachment point about a boat length behind the boat, and help reduce the risk of chafing against the hull or any other parts of the boat. I'd also put chafe sleeve material over much of the first 10' of the bridle.
jeff432 wrote:I can understand the desire for a wide bridle base. Any idea how much of the load force pulling away from the boat is transferred from the single line to a vector force pushing or pinching the bridle ends together? Chain plates sound like a good idea, but location of the plates is clearly key, and that's what I am wondering about with the folding design....
jeff432

Jordan Series Drogue

Post by jeff432 »

Thanks Dan. As always, when you get the installation finished, we love to see pics...