ROLLER FURLER BLUES AND HALF STEPPING THE MAST...

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
Don

Post by Don »

i AM HAVING DIFFICULTY GETTING THE ROLLER FURLER TO "LINE" UP RIGHT FOR THE SCREECHER... THE LINE JUMPS OUT THE TOP OF THE OPEN DRUM AND WRAPS AROUND THE FOOT OF THE SAIL WHEN LETTING THE SAIL OUT... CAN YOU DEPLOY THE SCREECHER WITH THE BOW SPRIT PART WAY OUT?

SECOND.. A PLANNED TRIP REQUIRES PARTIAL LOWERING OF THE MAST TO CLEAR A LOW [20FT] BRIDGE CAN THIS BE DONE WITH BOOM AND SAILS IN PLACE??

ANY IDEAS?
Dan

Post by Dan »

Yes, you can lower the mast partially to clear a bridge with the sails still attached. You may have to remove the sail slugs from the mast and disconnect the gooseneck, unless you have one of the boats that had the modified boom linkage. The roller furling genny can be lowered and set in the fork at the mast’s foot fairly safely for short durations. Supporting the foil, to prevent the weight of the drum from bending it is a good idea.

As for your screacher... do you have a fairlead block or padeye mounted on the bowsprit. If not, that is probably your problem. You need to have a block or fairlead mounted so that the line leads to the drum at about a 90˚ to the luff of the screacher. If you don't have such a fairlead/block installed, the line makes too wide an angle and tends to climb the drum, and pop off the top of it. The fairlead/block keeps the screacher line from climbing and popping out. You really should deploy the screacher only when the bowsprit is fully extended and the halyard for the screacher is properly tensioned.
Don

Post by Don »

OK, the lead on the bowsprit sounds like it will do it ... i will read the other postings with regard to the proper tension on he halyard. thanks for the help.
Don

Post by Don »

ok, the lead on the bowsprit worked fine . I furled and unfurled in near no wind conditions several times and all appears well. sea trials asap. thanks again Dan.
I am going to try a rehearsal on the mast lowering and we'll see...
Dan

Post by Dan »

Good luck and glad to help out... anything else, let me know.