Furler Problems

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
Tri’d n Sail’d

Re: Furler Problems

Post by Tri’d n Sail’d »

Well, back to square one. Problems have returned. I have tried the screecher halyard and different variations of the genoa halyard. I started using my starboard winch on my furling line to overpower the 1/2 wrap at the top with minimal success (even broke a block). Very frustrating and unsafe in the wrong conditions. Ron, could I please get a picture of the eye strap configuration that you mentioned? I think the earlier pics have dropped off (I have had to use MS Paint to reduce picture sizes to acceptable size of 256K). Thanks!
Jim Parsch
Sunshine & Whiskey
Telstar 28 #339
Bedford, IN
Ron

Post by Ron »

I'll try again. Photo size is now around 70K. Note how the halyard is redirected so the approach angle of the halyard heading towards the swivel is greater.
Attachments
P2110237-small.jpg
P2110237-small.jpg (69.15 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Tri’d n Sail’d

Post by Tri’d n Sail’d »

Thank you Ron, that helps a lot. Are those two eyebolts that you’re using? Thanks again!
Jim Parsch
Sunshine & Whiskey
Telstar 28 #339
Bedford, IN
Ron

Post by Ron »

No - it's a one piece sleeve with rounded corners made to redirect a line with minimal damage to the line itself. Forgot where i got it. It's about an inch or maybe a drop more in length.
Ron Marcuse
Tri’d n Sail’d

Post by Tri’d n Sail’d »

Thanks Ron. Of course this will be an after season fix, but in the meantime I am dead set to prove that I can get the swivel high enough to jam the tab on the mast. Going back to give it a another try today. Thanks again.
Jim Parsch
Sunshine & Whiskey
Telstar 28 #339
Bedford, IN
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Good to know you guys gave figured it out! I am fortunate to not have this problem (yet), but my genoa Furlex drum often gest stuck from. I suspect this happens because the furling line enters the drum at a non-optimal angle resulting in most of the rope winding around the upper side of the drum axle. As a result the rope coil on the drum gets too fat and starts rubbing abound the drum walls preventing the complete unfurling of the genoa, especially in light winds. When I have time I plan to attach an extra snatch block to the furling line to make it enter the drum more perpendicular to its axle. Will report the results.
Cheers,
Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)
Member of Clinton Lake Sailing Association
Ron

Post by Ron »

The line has to be perpendicular to the drum and keep some tension on the sheet as you roll the sail in.
Ron Marcuse