opinions on the "screecher"

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Mark -

I've never had any problem with the Bierig screecher, either setting it or rolling it back in, after maybe 100 sets over the last 3 years. But I've never willingly used the sail in over 15 knots of wind. The one time that I had to roll it back in in maybe 18 knots I blanketed the sail with the main. You wind up with too much tension on the furling line and sheet to do it right. The winch and and handle are not the solution. I do the same for the 150 kevlar genoa - why fight the wind.

Others on the list have also had few if any problems with the Bierig screecher. I recall some complaints about the chinese wire not having enough twists done at the factory, and some friction problems with the upper swivel. Bierig sent out a note concerning the chinese wire about 2 or 3 years ago. It may be posted somewhere in this forum. I think Kurt is one of the guys who had to replace the swivel and his rolling-it-back-in problem went away.

The "non-twist" synthetic line looks interesting. If I go to the Miami show, I'll look for it. I can't see how they can make flexible rope (in a normal diameter) that can't be twisted.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
seicam

Post by seicam »

Thank you guys. There is a Seatlle Boat Show coming up in 2 weeks, I will go and check what's available locally.

Regards,
Maciek
seicam

Post by seicam »

I am continuing my search for the screecher. I have got some preliminary quotes from some sailmakers at the Seattle Boat Show and now trying to pick where to go. I have a few questions that people here may help with:

1) I have got very varying quotes from sailmakers. The one from Bierig is right in the middle. Does anyone have experience with Lee Sails? They are the cheepest, likely because of offshore manufacturing. If anyone had some experience with them, I would appriciate if you could share. Feel free to send me a PM.
2) Does anyone know the dimensions of the screecher, especially the luff lenght? Manuall only says the sail area. I am trying to get this from PCI, but they are not returning my calls.
3) What's the opinion on the weight of the cloth used for the screecher from Bierig? I've got some sailmakers suggesting much lighter materials for this type of a sail.
4) Could anyone tell me the part number for the furler that shipped with the screecher? i believe it is from Schaefer.Would anyone recommend something else.

Regards,
Maciek
Ron

Post by Ron »

Lee sails are made in Hong Kong - at least that's where the main office is. Company name is Cheong Lee. I'd be carefull here - recall the fiasco with their drywall, lead paint in toys, etc. If they're that cheap, you may wind up getting what you pay for.

I've got the Bierig screecher. The cloth weight is somewhere in the middle for this kind of sail. Lighter is great for calmer days, but you may not be able to fly it if the wind picks up. I've been out in maybe 17 knots (didn't really plan on doing it) on a broad reach with absolutely no problems at all. Lighter could have blown it apart? I thought the Pacific Northwest is anything but calm? Don't do anything near 17 knots on a closer reach with any cloth weight. If the sail doesn't blow apart first, the bow sprit won't take it

I don't know the sails specs offhand. Sail's in the bag and I may not use it till next year. With my shoulder recovering from surgery, I'm trying to take it easy this year. Maybe you can get it from Bierig if no one on the list knows it. Schaeffer drum is a System 650. I've had good luck with it. Some people are recommending a continuous line drum, but I think the jury is still out on that.
Ron Marcuse
simonhayes

Post by simonhayes »

The manual says "The screacher is roughly 387 square feet of 4 ounce sail cloth"

I have had lots of issues with the drum furler on the screecher - usually when the wind shoots from 10 to north of 20kts in a hurry which can happen out here on SF Bay. It has a tendency to bind when you really don't need it to and it is really tough to furl when the wind gets up. I cut my leg badly (on the cotter pins on the Ama pivot) while wrestling lowering the screecher when the wind changed so I know first hand that it is no fun lowing it in a real breeze when it binds. I have tried all kinds of tensions, different lines diameters with out much success.

I am actively considering changing to a single line furling with a bigger diameter wheel/drum to get more torque when I really need it - I believe this will make the management much easier. You can't reef it - it is either all the way out or in. The screecher sail shape doesn't allow you to reef it anyway so no big loss.

I am looking at the Profurl nex 1.5 which I saw at the strictly sail show and was impressed with. I will have to get the wire replaced with the high tech cord which has a bigger diameter itself. see http://www.profurl.com/fiche-A|PROFURL| ... me-UK.html

Interestingly, Practical sailor did a review of continuous line furlers this month - see http://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/ ... 363-1.html

Lastly, I noted that Tony's last Telstar that he built for himself had a continuous line furler on it...

I will let you know how I get on..

- Simon
Ex-Telstar 28 Owner
San Francisco Bay, CA
Ron

Post by Ron »

Simon -

You should be aware of this, but note that the screecher should be sitting in it's bag if you expect more than 15 knots of wind. Above that - the only way to get it back on a roller (any kind - drum or continuous) is to head downwind and blanket it with the main. That should apply to the genoa as well.Too much force to roll any head sail back in with any version of any furling gear.

I've had the screecher out unintentionally in around 18 knots on a reach with the standard drum. It wasn't too hard to reel it in after a 60 degree turn to leeward. True wind angle must have been about 150 to 160 off of the bow. Furling it at 90 degrees would have been nearly impossible, or would have broke something.

I think the continuous line furlers could be a good idea. Don't think it would help your problem, but at least you won't wind up with tangles on a drum.
Ron Marcuse
simonhayes

Post by simonhayes »

Well that would be everyday between March and October out here in SF. Normally the day starts calm and the wind builds slowly . Challenge is, some days the wind machine just turns on and the wind jumps to 25+ in a flash. This is compounded by the coastal mountains and hills in the south bay as there are lots of wind holes and "hurricane alleys" which shift as the wind builds. You usually need the screecher to get the boat moving in single digit winds and dowse it as it builds. If it moves too fast - that's when the fun starts .

Regardless - I don't like the design of the screecher furler. It is tough to attach/detach to the bowsprit without hanging over the bow and losing the pin. Likewise the swivel at the top can't be attached to a snapshackle without taking the pin out of the pivot (and risk losing it overboard) . The size of the furler "barrel" and the wraps you need means you have to use a thin line that bites into your hands and which binds up easily . And the wire in the sail luff is crap and keeps getting more twisted. Net net - time for a change to something easier to handle
Ex-Telstar 28 Owner
San Francisco Bay, CA
Ron

Post by Ron »

Simon -

Let us know how it works out. I like the concept of the continuous line furlers, but I've heard an occasional negative - including from Dave Bierig who built the sail. Dave is sort of old fashioned - absolutely no chance of ever sending him an email or looking at their website.

I've never had a problem with the screecher or its drum roller, going in or going out. I'm very carefull with the line wrapping and up-wrapping and I go out of my way to keep the forces down. If I had to use a winch to bring it in, I'm doing something wrong.
Ron Marcuse
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I had problems in the past but last year I added a part that is available for the drum that feeds the line in at the same angle rather then the way Tony had through a loop on the bow sprit. I also ran the furling line down the port side so it was separate from the jib furling line. problem went away though I must admit I only had a chance to fly the screecher 3-4 times last year.

Jerry
Ron

Post by Ron »

Jerry -

That could definitely help. Where did you get it and does it have a part number or ?? I ran the furler down the port side as well - starboard side was getting a drop too busy for my tastes. Especially with tying up lines in the cockpit.

The easier it is to roll up the sail with the least amount of pressure on it helps. Too much pressure tends to get the drum and upper swivel to rotate at different rotational speeds and/or angles, with the luff wire taking the punishment.
Ron Marcuse