Lee Sail Cover member discount

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
Ron

Post by Ron »

We now have a 10 percent discount for any genoa covers bought from Lee Sailcovers by members of the ITOA - take a look at them here :
http://leesailcovers.com

The discount is for everything they make or sell. That includes genoa socks, mainsail covers, boom tents, sail bags, tiller covers, winch covers, etc. The genoa sock that I ordered from them is well made too. The code for the discount will be posted in the members only section of this forum.

I think I paid approx $210 plus a few bucks for shipping. Mine is around 31 1/2 feet long with a circumference of 15 inches at the widest point. You'll need to enter that on the form as well. The dacron sail may need a smaller circumference, so measure it first. Wouldn't be a bad idea to measure your sail if you don't have the link at the top. The luff length may be a little longer without the link, not sure.

I've got the kevlar sails and I'd like to use them for 8 to 10 years if possible. Keeping them away from UV will help. The thin material sewn to the leech is not nearly as effective as this much heavier sock.

Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

Ron, Do you have the longer mast? I measured my Genny and got about 26.5 ft from head to tack.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Mark-

I don't think the genny size changed with the taller mast. IIRC, the forestay was the same length or pretty close to it on the tall mast versions of the Telstar.
Ron

Post by Ron »

I'll measure my genoa cover itself in the next day or two. I'm pretty sure it was just over 31 feet and it nearly covers the entire rolled up sail. Lee Sail covers also checked their records and got the same number. Mine has that link on top also which may (or may not?) shorten it a drop.
Ron Marcuse
Ron

Post by Ron »

My luff length (head to tack) is a little over 31 feet. The cover is exactly 31 and it's maybe 2 inches short. I've got the link at the top of the forestay so that might have some effect concerning overall luff length. If anything, the boats without the link may be a little longer. Are you sure that yours is 26 1/2 feet? I never measured the mast, but I was told that it was the standard length and they were not going to build any more taller rigs. Since the boom is little over 6 feet above the cabin sole, I'm nearly positive that it's not the tall rig. You lose somewhere between 1/2 and 1 foot in boom height with the taller rig.
Ron Marcuse
Dan

Post by Dan »

I have a hard time believing that there's a 5' discrepancy in the luff length. The maximum headsail luff length is 36'6" for the screacher/asymmetric spinnaker. I seriously doubt that the screacker or asymmetric spinnaker has a luff length that is 10' longer than the genoa. The physical dimensions just don't allow for that on the boat, since the bowsprit is only 4' long and the vertical dimension is only a bit more. To get a 10' difference, the spinnaker/screacher halyard would have to be about 8' higher than the genoa halyard as a rough guess—and I know that isn't the case.

The 26'6" measurement sounds more like the leech than the luff—or clew to head measurement. The base calculation for a 155% genoa is (I*J/2) *1.65. J is 11' or the base of the fore-triangle. I is 34.5' based on the owner's manual. This comes out to about 313 sq. ft.—which is in the ballpark of the 150% genny, which is 274 sq. ft. A 155% would be a bit bigger. :)

Also the math doesn't work. J=34.5, I=11, Forestay length should be about sqrt (I^2+J^2). 11*11 = 121, 34.5*34.5=1190.25 Sqrt (1311.25) = 36.2' So, the forestay should be about 36.2' long, including the toggles, turnbuckles and terminals. Ron's got a measurement of 31' for the leech of the sail, which sounds about right, if you figure in the length of the extension link, the halyard swivel, the furling drum, the unused foil length, and such. I can't see the drum, halyard swivel, link, etc., taking up almost 10'...which is what would need to be the case to have a luff of 26.5"—that is just not reasonable.
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

I agree. I must have screwed up something, but until I get back to the boat I wont know what.
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

i obviously did something wrong when I measured the first time. I just got 33.5' from the tack to the swivel at the head and I got 35.5' to the screecher halyard sheeve. My boat does not have the top link. I think I am going to order the length at 33.5 because I would like to make sure the entire sail is covered and if I am a little long, I should be able to not close the bottom few inches.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Mark -

I'd use the length of the sail at the luff, which is probably around 33 feet in your case. Mine is a little too short, (luff must be 4 to 6 inches longer, but that's apparently what I told them and I'm stuck with if for now). Too long may be as bad as too short - the cover is designed to go around the sail and it may flop around more with just the wire stay or upper swivel inside. More chafe on the cover as well.

The discount code appears in the member only section and it's good for 10 percent on anything they make. Yours is a little different than mine, so I'd probabably call to see if she wants any other measurements. I told her the height of my rolled up sheets above the clew for example. She uses velcro at that point to let the sheets through - there are zippers above that point. Yours may be a little different.

You can use the screecher / spinnaker halyard to raise the sock (did it for a month or two), but I wound up snaking a 1/4 inch halyard thru the mast for this reason. There's another sheeve / exit near the top, just above the geneoa halyard sheeve.
Ron Marcuse