Reefing lines

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
philipadams

Reefing lines

Post by philipadams »

When I raise the main, sometimes the reefing lines run thru the boom and out the back so quickly that they entangle on themselves and/or around the topping lift. The higher the wind, of course, the more likely this will happen. Is there any way to add a bit of friction before the reefing lines enter the front of the boom to slow down their run? The "claw" cleats in the boom itself only seem to have an "on/off" function, i.e. the lines run freely or they are stopped. Thanks for your input...Tropical
Ron

Reefing lines

Post by Ron »

I've never pulled any reefing lines back into the boom on this or any other sail boat. Wrap the excess around the boom and treat it like an extra sail tie. Pulling them back in is a pain in the neck and usually causes some sort of problem raising the main (but usually related to the extra friction). You can mark the line where it exits the back end of the boom with some tape or die so you know exactly how much reef line has to be available.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
philipadams

Reefing lines

Post by philipadams »

Ron, thanks for the reply. I can't quite visualize your description of where exactly/how to wrap the excess reefing lines (I'm a slow learner). Any chance you could post of photo? Many thanks...Tropical
Ron

Reefing lines

Post by Ron »

Philip -

When you drop the main sail, you'll have a few feet of reef lines hanging down into the cockpit. Grab them and wrap them around the back end of the furled main, like it was an extra sail tie. I usually tuck them into one of the sails folds then. Problem solved. On larger boats which have a real single line reef system (both ends of mains foot), there is way too much friction involved to pull them thru the boom, and the lines are usually cleated as well. Next time you raise the sail it will be like you were "short sheeted". By the way, that's the origin of the term . Not bed sheets - but sheets on a square rigger when someone pulled them in too tight. The next watch had problems when they were trying to set one of the sails.

I'll take a picture next time I take the cover off of the sail. But, as I said above - it's really a no brainer. Just grab the two sets of lines hanging down and wrap them around the boom. Remember to unwrap them next time you raise the sail - but they will pull out as long as you don't tie a knot. I've never done it any other way. And I get really pissed off when I charter a boat and find that they pulled everything through the boom. What a pain in the ____ when you have to walk around the boat to un-do everything.
Ron Marcuse
Ron

Reefing lines

Post by Ron »

Picture of reef lines wrapped around end of boom below. Note that they are not tied, just wrapped around and the remainder stuffed into one of the sail's folds.
Ron Marcuse
drsm

Reefing lines

Post by drsm »

Ron,

If you lead your reefing lines that way, don't you have to reef the sail both at the mast and back at the end of the boom? Isn't it easier to do both at the mast?

Steve
Ron

Reefing lines

Post by Ron »

The Telstar's "single line" reef system only does the aft end of the main. You've got to hook the appropriate cringle at the gooseneck to handle the luff. I figure about 98 percent of my sailing is done with full sails and I'm singlehanded over half of the time, so why pull the 2 reef lines thru the boom every time I lower the main? Just wrap the 2 hanging loops aound the furled sail (and boom) and tuck it in (with both ends still tied to the boom). The amount of reef line being wrapped is only enough to let the main be raised next time !! What do you accomplish by pulling the line thru the boom? Assuming that you may reef next time you sail, you've got to raise the sail before you reef it anyway, and then pull the line.

On larger boats with real single line jiffy reefing systems led back to the cockpit you've got way too much friction to raise the main when everything is pulled through. The simplified Telstar reef lines will probably pull thru (if the jammer is free), but it's a waste of time doing it. When I raise the main, I want nothing to slow me down or interfere with it.
Ron Marcuse
drsm

Reefing lines

Post by drsm »

Okay, I misunderstood. I thought you had set your system up in such a fashion that you could no longer control the reefing lines at the mast. I think I know what you are doing now.

Steve