Self Tailers?

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
luigisante

Self Tailers?

Post by luigisante »

I notice that the new Telstars come with self tailing winches. I was surprised at that. With a multi's speed and propensity to trip or pitch pole rather than knock down, I have always believed that self tailers were not preferble and always used non-self tailing winches run through a quick release cam cleat. Am i all wet? (pun intended)

Lou
Ron

Self Tailers?

Post by Ron »

luigisante wrote:Am i all wet? (pun intended)
Lou
Yes and no. Both of the self tailing cabin top winches also have a jamb style of "T" cleat nearby. I would seriously consider using the T over the self tailing sleeve if the conditions even come close to being dangerous. In anything else the self tailers just make things easier for you.

The 28 is also a much more stable boat than the Corsair, etc. The much lighter Farrier boats are designed to have only 2 hulls in the water (it's physically impossible for all 3 to be wet at the same time), and the Telstar 28 will reluctantly lift an ama only if pushed vary hard. I've done nearly 16 knots in just under 20 knots of wind on the beam with all 3 in the water (the windward side still being slightly wet) and the genoa sheet held by the cleat just in case. Very little, if any, drama. Anyone on a Corsair would be holding on to the genoa sheet then, and probably be moving over to the windward and now significantly higher side of the boat. I have a hunch that the 26 has similar characteristics to the 28.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
luigisante

Self Tailers?

Post by luigisante »

Thanks Ron that makes a lot of sense. If I set up my winches with a cleat, I can use the self tailing feature in lighter winds. I never looked at it that way. Duh! Thanks.

Lou