Sheets and Halyards

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
trashpad

Sheets and Halyards

Post by trashpad »

Does anybody know the diameter, lengths, and types of the sheets and halyards on the T28? I thought it was in the owners manual but could not find it.
Dan

Sheets and Halyards

Post by Dan »

IIRC, the halyards are all 3/8" Sta-Set and about 70' in length. The outhaul is 3/8" Sta-SetX, not sure on length as it uses a in-boom block and tackle to give a 2:1 purchase. The reefing lines are 5/16" Sta-Set. The mainsheet and genoa sheets are 1/2" Sta-Set. The mainsheet is about 100', and the genny sheets are probably about 45-50' long. The screacher sheets are 3/8" Sta-Set, and probably about 50-60' long.

When I did my halyards led-aft project, I went with a high-tech line for the halyards and the new halyards were 85' LOA. The new mainsheet is also a high-tech line, but I went down to a 3/8" line, since smaller diameter lines have less friction. I also upsized the reefing lines to 3/8".
Ron

Sheets and Halyards

Post by Ron »

Dan -

I don't think my halyards are 3/8. They feel bigger than that, especially the screecher / spinnkaker halyard. I'll measure next time I go to the boat. Maybe they install heavier line with the kevlar sails?

These questions have come up before. I'm going to try to get a copy of the check off list that they use to assemble the boats this weekend. It should have all of the wire and rope sizes. We can put it on the web site or forum.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
trashpad

Sheets and Halyards

Post by trashpad »

I thought I saw the information in the old manual but I don't see it in the new version.
dcarl

Sheets and Halyards

Post by dcarl »

I know this is an old thread but what size are the Halyards? Are the main, genoa, and screecher all 3/8 in? I'm asking because I'm going to order line clutches for the mast.

We're finally getting weather we can sail in. Traditionally we have about 6 weeks, January in to February, where we don't sail much because it's to cold, we like mid 50's and above down here. We've had colder weather before but not cold weather for so long. This year we're 10 to 12 degrees below normal all thru February. Plus we've had over 13 in of rain since the first of the year. Blue sky's and mid 60's today decent wind.

/David
Pensacola
Dan

Sheets and Halyards

Post by Dan »

If you figure 75' x 3/8" for the halyards, you should be fine, unless you're running the halyards aft to the cockpit, in which case, you’ll probably want to add 15' or so for the run back to the cockpit. The reefing lines and topping lift were 5/16", not 3/8". If you want to use a 3/8" line for the topping lift, so it can double as an emergency mainsail halyard, you’ll need to replace the cheek block on the mast, since that won't accept a 3/8" line IIRC.

As for line clutches, the Lewmar line clutches are about the best. They have consistently been rated quite well in Practical Sailor Magazine’s tests and they tend to chafe the line the least. They’re also always releasable under a load, unlike the Spinlocks. I would recommend making mounting plates out of aluminum for the mast. These are pretty easy to make from 1/8" aluminum plate if you have access to a sheet metal brake press. You can rivet the mounting plates to the mast and then bolt the line clutches to the plate. The plate is basically a flat sheet bent twice on each end to create "feet" that are slightly wider than the mounting surface. The legs give you the clearance so you can get a wrench in under the plate to hold the clutches in place. The feet give you a nice surface to rivet to the mast. Use stainless steel or monel rivets, and coat them with tefgel or Lanocote to help prevent galvanic interaction between the rivets and the plate.
dcarl wrote:I know this is an old thread but what size are the Halyards? Are the main, genoa, and screecher all 3/8 in? I'm asking because I'm going to order line clutches for the mast.

We're finally getting weather we can sail in. Traditionally we have about 6 weeks, January in to February, where we don't sail much because it's to cold, we like mid 50's and above down here. We've had colder weather before but not cold weather for so long. This year we're 10 to 12 degrees below normal all thru February. Plus we've had over 13 in of rain since the first of the year. Blue sky's and mid 60's today decent wind.

/David
Pensacola
Ron

Sheets and Halyards

Post by Ron »

I just measured all 3 halyards. Mine are definitely 7/16. Maybe they bump up the size when you order kevlar sails? Or they could have run out of 3/8 when they were putting mine together.

Dan - we've got a few things to talk about. Send me a private message or email when you have a chance.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"