Mast cleats

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
Ron

Mast cleats

Post by Ron »

Get the 2 Lewmar clutches for the starboard side of the mast. I was cursing the boat every time I had to tighten one of the halyards when both were in use. You don't need the bracket that some of the guys built to hold both clutches together (or the double Lewmar version). I mounted 2 single clutches on the mast directly in the line of pull of each, and they are not side-by-side. Use 1/4 - 28 or the metric equivalent. The fine thread has about 20 percent more holding power. If I remember, I'll take a picture of it in the next few days.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
trashpad

Mast cleats

Post by trashpad »

That is the plan, I hope to find a good deal on them at the show today. They will make life at the mast so much nicer.
trashpad

Mast cleats

Post by trashpad »

Ron wrote:
trashpad wrote:I thought that the pulley and the top of the halyard would help prevent the halyard from twisting and allow me to get it tight without using the winch.
It could make it easier, but its not hard now - maybe a 1/8 turn of the winch before backing up a drop. Also could allow you to always tighten it too much. And what are you going to do with the 140 feet (or so) of halyard when the screecher is up? I tend to leave the screecher rigged for maybe a week at a time.
You know, the Gemini is rigged with a 2-to-1 on their screecher. But with the clutch this is a mute point.