multiple head sails

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
Don

multiple head sails

Post by Don »

My thanks to all for your advise. I will see what I can do with the instruments.. Now please pardon my ignorance but That big head sail that uses the sock to open and close ; that is the spinnaker yes? I do not yet have the Screacher that uses the roller furler...so my original question referred to the Spinnaker. I don't know if that changes the data significantly or not ... thanks again...goin sailing....season's closing soon.
Ron

multiple head sails

Post by Ron »

Yes - but techically, it's an asymmetrical spinnaker, or an asymmetrical for short. A symmetrical spinnaker needs a pole attached to the tack of the sail to stabilize it, and it's what you tend to see during a race on many boats downwind. By the way - these are the "codes" I was talkning about for an asymmetrical.

Code 0 - The code 0 asymmetric is a tight reaching sail, the most upwind capable of the asymmetrics. The luff is as straight as possible, and the sail is flatter than other spinnakers. Due to the flatness of the code 0, it is usually made with a wire luff for strength, and of a heavier, less stretchy fabric than normal for a spinnaker. Due to the tight luff and flat cut, the code 0 can be fitted for roller furling.
Code 1 - The code 1 is a light air reaching sail, where the apparent wind angles at low speeds has a significant effect to create angles of less than 90 degrees.
Code 2 - The code 2 is a medium air running sail, used for apparent wind angles over 90 degrees.
Code 3 - The code 3 is a medium air reaching sail, used for apparent wind angles near 90 degrees.
Code 4 - The code 4 is a heavy air running sail, used in the heaviest winds normally expected.
Code 5 - The code 5 is a heavy air reaching sail, used in the heaviest winds normally expected.
Code 6 - he code 6 is a storm sail, for running in storm conditions.

Note the apparent wind angles mentioned for each, but take into account that a multhull is capable of pushing the edge of forward wind angle because of it's potential speed. Bierig's 1.5 oz asymmetric is similar to a #3, but possibly a little flatter. I'd say that 70 degrees is about as high as one would want to go with it, especially if you consider the forces acting on the bowsprit.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Don

multiple head sails

Post by Don »

OK I fell better about my sail nomenclature... Ron, TY for the decoding heh heh :) I would go with the 3 as there is no wire in the luff. thanks again...Don
Andy

multiple head sails

Post by Andy »

I have both the screecher (code 0) and the asymetrical spinnaker. I am interested in what wind angle ranges readers have had most success with each sail, specifically at what wind angle (apparent) do you tend to switch up from code 0 to genoa, and what angle do you tend to switch down from code 0 to asymetric spinnaker. Also how low an angle will you sail with the Beirig Asymetric spinaker. It is not effective directly downwind (at least without a spinnaker pole) so what angle do you normally sail to maximize vmg directly downwind?

Many thanks.

Andy,
Telstar 371 "Leslie Ann II"
trashpad

multiple head sails

Post by trashpad »

Hello Andy,

We have the genoa and screecher and use wind speed more than wind angle to decide when to change. The best range I have found for the screech is between 60 and 120 apparent. You can go higher and lower but speed drops off quickly so keep an eye on VMG more than boat speed.
Andy

multiple head sails

Post by Andy »

Thanks that is helpful. My experience with the screecher is similar. I was wondering if anyone had success with the larger asymetric spinnaker at angles lower than 120 degrees, or does everyone gybe downwind.
Has any one tried a spinnaker pole with the Beirig spinnaker to avoid blanketing from the mainsail? I tried my asymetric for the first time a few weeks ago, and it was ineffective at angles greater than 150 degrees (blanketed by the main); indifferent between 120 and 150 degrees; and came into its own at 120 degrees and less. That implies it is simply a light air version of the screecher which works at similar angles. The spinnaker is a bit larger and fuller, good for light winds but with less upwind capability than the screecher. Does that match other's experience with the big asymetric? I am especially interested in the experience of anyone who may have raced the Telstar on a downwind leg.

many thanks,
Andy
Telstar 371 "Leslie Ann II"
Ron

multiple head sails

Post by Ron »

A faster multihull (or monohull for that matter) would benefit from falling off upwind and sailing higher downwind. You may sail more miles, but you should get there earlier. That said, the Bierig screecher is most usefull in the 60 to 110 degree range, while his asymmetric works best from about 85 to 130. The screecher is a little flatter and has the luff wire to help. You can stretch these numbers a drop, especially at higher wind speeds, but you tend to lose any benefits of the sail. I'd like to install a short (maybe 4 foot) track on the ama coaming (top edge) so I have the option of moving the turning block(s) forward a drop if needed. The "U" on the ama is probably not the best place for the snatch block on many days.

To me, the real advantage of the screecher over the asymmetric is that I can leave it rigged for an extended time period and immediately ready to use when needed, even when singlehanded. The asymmetric involves a lot more work and I'm not crazy about flying it singlehanded or with inexperienced crew.

Note that you should probably not use either sail with 14 or more knots upwind and about 18 downwind if you want to keep the bowsprit in one piece. I've occasionally rigged a bobstay if there is a chance of exceeding the above, but better to not do it.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"