Bowsprit Cleat

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
occasion

Bowsprit Cleat

Post by occasion »

Has anyone installed a camcleat or rope clutch for the bowsprit control line?

Sandy
Occasion
Fairport, NY
Ron

Bowsprit Cleat

Post by Ron »

Didn't think it needs one. You set it once and leave it that way for hours. And the one existing cleat will hold both ends of the line - sprit in or out. You might need 2 cams or clutches to do it that way.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
occasion

Bowsprit Cleat

Post by occasion »

If you use a spinaker or retract the bowsprit for a short berth than having a quick securing device would be handy.

I'm looking for anyone who has experimented with a cam cleat or rope clutch.

If you don't fly a spinaker or use a boat slip than I supose it seems excessive.

Sandy
Ron

Bowsprit Cleat

Post by Ron »

You're right, but you may need two of them to do what you want. One to hold the bow sprit in and one to hold it out. The angle of pull would worry me a drop too - these clutches and cam cleats are not made to take a vertical (from them) pull. You may have to mount each along it's normal path of travel, with one at the front end of the anchor locker and the other at the rear, and then pull towards the short end of the box - requiring two turning blocks as well. Overall, I'm satisfied with the way PC did it, but I'l take another look at the system next time I'm at the boat. The "perfect" solution would have the lines exiting the anchor locker.

Better to spend your money on Lewmar clutches for the screecher/spinnaker and main halyards on the mast, where the boat definitely needs them.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
occasion

Bowsprit Cleat

Post by occasion »

Ron,
I did install a single Spinlock rope clutch for the main halyard. It works great. What a relief. Next year I will install another one for the Screacher halyard.

Sand