Screcher halyard melting

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
Mark

Screcher halyard melting

Post by Mark »

My screecher halyard parted a year or so ago - looked as if it was rubbing on something and since thenI have cut it back a couple of times when wear was apparent. Checking it this week, it was OK but at the usual break point it had begun to melt. Could furling the sail twist the line so much that that much heat is generated? Does anyone know if the set up is compatible with a part-wire halyard?

mark
Ron

Screcher halyard melting

Post by Ron »

Mark -

I'm assuming that your setup has a drum at the bottom, a screecher with the correct luff length, a wire the entire length of the luff that's been pre-loaded with maybe 4 turns before the pendent is attached to the drum, a swivel at the top that is not pulled tight against the mast, and the halyard exits the mast a few inches above the head stay. If the screecher halyard is then twisting around anything including itself, it's got to be is too loose. You should use a winch handle on that halyard to get a little more tension on the line. I usually look at the rolled up genoa on the head stay and backup a drop when I see the head stay JUST start to sag a little. I've never been able to get it tight enough without the winch. But don't go crazy on this line either - you'll cause other problems. After releasing an inch or two of screecher halyard the head stay will look just about straight.

One other thought - the screecher halyard must be exiting the mast high enough that the halyard does not rub on the head stay on either side before and after a jibe. That could be the cause of the wear also.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Mark

Screcher halyard melting

Post by Mark »

Ron

The wear/melting appears to be just inside the mast. The sail wire is pre-tensioned although it probably needs a bit more tensioning since it has been a while. I do tighten the halyard with the winch - but only a few clicks after its about at tight as possible by hand. Even so, it get it to unfurl completely, I sometimes have to loosen the halyard a little.

Do you know if a lower bail can be added on the inside of the stock bail on the bowsprit so that a bobstay can be added? And if so the size? from the picture, it looks as if you have a line tied around the bowsprit and resting against the riveted line feed - is this the case?

Mark
Ron

Screcher halyard melting

Post by Ron »

Mark -

The screecher/spinnaker halyard is being torn apart "INSIDE" the mast? Sounds like the sheave may be jammed or there is something inside the mast that is tearing it up. It could be wires, nuts, bolt ends, other lines, pvc tubes, etc. You've got all of that up there on the inside. It's possible that the halyard does not have a fair lead inside the mast. Next time you drop the mast, remove the crane and mast top plate to see what's happening inside. Fairly easy job when the mast is down. This should NOT be happening.

I found it easier to wrap a tight bowline around the retracted bow sprit - behind the large bail but forward of the small eye, then clip it to the trailer "U" bolt. It's usually tied up or stored below unless I expect to see more than 15 knots of wind with either the screecher or asymmetric. It's normally not needed, but it can help distribute the forces better in higher wind speeds. I'm almost tempted to run lines to the bows on each ama as well. I installed "U" bolts on the top of the deck approximately 1 foot from the bow on both. Dual purpose - they hold fenders when I'm at my dock in Florida.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"