Window in the Genoa

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
Mark G

Window in the Genoa

Post by Mark G »

I ran over a mark the other day because I misjudged my drift and couldn't see it through the Genoa. The next time I take the sail off it's going to the sailmaker for a cleaning and a window. I have the laminated sails. Has anyone done this and do you have any recommendations?
trashpad

Window in the Genoa

Post by trashpad »

If I am out by myself and get in a busy area where I need a better view I will furl in a few wraps on the jib. But I can see where a window would be handy.
Ron

Window in the Genoa

Post by Ron »

The laminated sail is a little lower cut than the dacron version and that would make it even worse to see under close-hauled. It does get interesting out there. But the kevlar is nearly unstrechable so the window and those seams will become the weak spot. Why not give Dave Bierig a call and see what he has to say about doing a window. His screechers come with one and they are cut higher and probably don't even need it, especially at those wind angles.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Mark G

Window in the Genoa

Post by Mark G »

I just talked to David Bierig and he told me that he can put a window in the laminate genoa. If you are buying a new sail, you might want to think about getting this installed. I asked him if he had installed one before and he didn't remember, so if anyone out there has one, I'd like to know it.
Mark

Window in the Genoa

Post by Mark »

Ron wrote:The laminated sail is a little lower cut than the dacron version and that would make it even worse to see under close-hauled. It does get interesting out there. But the kevlar is nearly unstrechable so the window and those seams will become the weak spot. Why not give Dave Bierig a call and see what he has to say about doing a window. His screechers come with one and they are cut higher and probably don't even need it, especially at those wind angles.
Ron

My screecher does not have a window and I often use it upwind - no visibility under those conditions which means lots of trips to the bow. Has anyone compared window'd to non window'd screechers?

Mark
trashpad

Window in the Genoa

Post by trashpad »

I have a window in my screacher but it is not all that see through. I still find myself falling off to leeward to see what is out there and trips to the bow.
Ron

Window in the Genoa

Post by Ron »

I can see thru my screecher window, but it is not very clear either. Just enough to tell if there is something in front of me. I prefer to bend down and look under it if possible, or fall off and look around. Sort of used to it though - I've had deck sweepers before. Went out the other day in Toms River during some sort of Junior Olympic sailing event. Must have been 500 Sun Fish and similar boats racing around 10 sets of marks set by 10 clubs and schools over about 4 miles of river. They were just about everywhere. Finally wound up doing what Kurt talked about - rolling in about half of the genoa to be able see. Way too much traffic to even attempt sailing thru a bunch of little kids in little boats with limited vision.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Dan

Window in the Genoa

Post by Dan »

In really crowded situations, I’ll tuck a reef in the genny. This raises the foot of the genny enough so that seeing under it isn’t much of an issue.
trashpad

Window in the Genoa

Post by trashpad »

Ron,

"They'll get out of the way.
I learned that on the "Saratoga"".
Ron

Window in the Genoa

Post by Ron »

Kurt -

A quote from my favorite movie.
Ron Marcuse