Tampa Bay vs Charlotte Harbor???

Tips on Cruising, Information on Sailing Destinations and Stories about Trips Taken
Tri’d n Sail’d

Tampa Bay vs Charlotte Harbor???

Post by Tri’d n Sail’d »

Beginning to plan for next winter... We would like to trailer to Tampa area or Punta Gorda area for 4-6 weeks (February-March) then back for sailing season up here in the midwest. We're hoping to find something on Airbnb where we can stay (again, over a month) and keep out T-28. Any experience from this group comparing the two areas and any advice about securing lodging/berthing? Also, I am retired military so we would have access to bases such as MacDill AFB.
Jim Parsch
Sunshine & Whiskey
Telstar 28 #339
Bedford, IN
Ron

Re: Tampa Bay vs Charlotte Harbor???

Post by Ron »

Can't help that much with the lodging problem. Charlotte Harbor is a good place to sail. Protected under most wind conditions, easily deep enough for a 5 foot draw trimaran. Tampa Bay is nice too, but some of the traffic gets rather large. You can rent a house or condo with a dock for a month or so in Punta Gorda. Just make sure it's in sailboat water (no bridges). There's a one month minimum rental on most houses in Punta Gorda. I've been sailing here for about 18 years - can't beat it.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Tri’d n Sail’d

Post by Tri’d n Sail’d »

Thanks Ron. I think Charlotte Harbor looks best and I can see that there are homes with canal docks on Airbnb. I think this looks like the best bet.
Jim Parsch
Sunshine & Whiskey
Telstar 28 #339
Bedford, IN
Ron

Post by Ron »

One last comment - there are more things to do and see in the Tampa / St Pete area.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
onremlop

Post by onremlop »

We had our Telstar at the St. Pete Marina for several years. I would stay on the boat 2 or 3 days a week when I worked down there. It is right in the downtown area so plenty of restaurants, apt. condos around. It would take less than 5 minutes to get into the bay. MacDill is basically across the bay. The Harborage is about a mile away, but is further away from the downtown area. St. Pete would be a good place to check out as well.
Tri’d n Sail’d

Post by Tri’d n Sail’d »

Thank you for the information. We are headed to St. Pete Beach in a few weeks and will check it out!
Jim Parsch
Sunshine & Whiskey
Telstar 28 #339
Bedford, IN
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Jim, Anita,

I belong to a Thistle (17ft racing dinghy) fleet on our lake in Illinois and every spring around first week of March we go for Thistle Midwinters East regatta typically held in ... St. Pete! Came back from 2022 one just a week ago. There were just 30 boats this time - still COVID aftermath, but during best years there were up to 60 boats from all over the US. The regatta is a week-log event. Come watch us on Tampa bay! There are also plenty of social activities and sailing classes. Hey, looks like we can cross our ways not just on lake Monroe! :)
Cheers,
Alex, Lucy
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)
Member of Clinton Lake Sailing Association
Tri’d n Sail’d

Post by Tri’d n Sail’d »

Alex, that sounds like a good time, and I agree on need to cross paths more than just Lake Monroe. We'll be checking St. Pete out soon. Have you thought of trailering your Telstar down there?
Jim Parsch
Sunshine & Whiskey
Telstar 28 #339
Bedford, IN