Forked River, NJ

Tips on Cruising, Information on Sailing Destinations and Stories about Trips Taken
Ron

Forked River, NJ

Post by Ron »

I'm putting the boat in the water in a few days at the State Marina at Forked River (NJ). Got lucky and wound up with a huge slip (60 feet long x 18+ feet wide) for a good price, so I took it. It was starting to shoal (just under 4 feet of water at low tide) and they couldn't get anything big (deep) in there, so they gave it to me (because of the width) and charged me for 28 feet. I may even be able to get it in there without folding either ama in. I know there's at least one other Telstar in Forked River. Saw it today at another marina on the hard. For that matter, any Telstars on Barnegat Bay should get back to me and maybe we'll get together on the bay somewhere.

I must have checked out 30 marina's over 3 days of driving. Started in Perth Amboy (Raritan Bay - NY Lower Harbor) and went as far south as the town of Barnegat. Didn't really see anything I liked until this one. The width got me. The others had bridge or tide gate problems, too exposed, very shallow, narrow slips (say 10 feet?), narrow fairways, or were falling apart or ridiculously expensive. The Jersey shore is really power boat country.

By the way - there's another one just like it right next to me, and another one next to that. If anyone wants to park their Telstar at Forked River, we could start a fleet. Since it's a NJ owned marina, the boat has got to have a NJ registration.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
trashpad

Forked River, NJ

Post by trashpad »

I was able to move into a 22 foot wide slip the same way. Wide and long but gets down to 4 foot at times and nobody would move into it. I love being able to come in and out by my self with the amas out.
Ron

Forked River, NJ

Post by Ron »

Kurt -

Looks like it fell through. It's a state run marina and they require that I register the boat in NJ. No problem, mon. Went to the DMV. Must have spent nearly half of the day while they spoke to the main office for quidance (USCG documented boat, etc.). Final answer was that they will not issue a NJ registration unless I re-title the boat to NJ. This I won't or can't do (some of the paperwork is down in Florida). After this summer it will probably never see NJ again. They'd also want the difference in sales tax rate (about $900). It's back to looking. Found a 20 foot wide slip in Bayonne, but my neighbors would be numerous container ships and tankers (the stuff you see from the turnpike just south of Newark). Not sure I want that either. I'm willing to settle for a slip that would allow one ama out now - say 14 1/2 feet minimum width.
Ron Marcuse
Ron

Forked River, NJ

Post by Ron »

OK - it's going to be Toms River on Barnegat Bay. The state marina at Forked River would not take the Florida registered boat of a tax paying NJ resident. Slips a little over 18 feet wide so I may be able to pull in without folding, and the area is protected from almost anything. Best of all is that there is great restaurant nearby with a Tiki Bar on the waterfront.
Ron Marcuse