South Florida to Bimini

Tips on Cruising, Information on Sailing Destinations and Stories about Trips Taken
jedrek

South Florida to Bimini

Post by jedrek »

In about a month, we are planning to start our 8 week trip from Ontario to South Florida and possibly to the Bahamas. The plan is to tow Varekai to Florida, launch her, provision, wait for weather window and cross to Bimini. Any suggestions on where to launch the boat, store the vehicle and trailer in Miami area? What would be good place to start the crossing? Read a bit about Black Point marina in Miami and South Dade marina in Florida City.

Any input would greatly appreciated.

Andrew
captainzman

Re: South Florida to Bimini

Post by captainzman »

I would go further south to Key Largo or Tavernier but I am prejudiced by the fact that I lived in Key Largo for six years. It is a more uphill ride for one thing. I'm sure that there are many places to store a trailer economically in the Homestead area. Don't stop at Bimini either--the tough part is already over by the time that you get there. Cross the Bank to visit the Berry Islands, Andros, Nassau and the Exumas. The shallow draft of the Telstar makes it a perfect choice for the thin waters of the Bahamas.
---sailing often into the sunset.
jedrek

Post by jedrek »

Thanks captainzman for your reply. We have decided to start from South Dade Marina, just north of highway 1 on Manatee Bay. They seem like a nice protected place with secured lot for vehicle and trailer storage.

I meant Bimini as the starting point to the Bahamas. We would like to get to the Exumas, time and weather permitting. We are not going to rush, would like to explore some other places on our way down there. We'll see where the winds will take us.

4 more weeks and we are hitting the road :D

Andrew
escape

Post by escape »

Hi, please keep us updated on your trip. It is a trip I also wish to do eventually. I hope you can post a couple of pictures and details.
Michel
Chenoa, #377
jedrek

Post by jedrek »

Michel,
Don’t know if it’s going to be of interest to you, but, I started a blog to keep the log of our trip . Can’t guarantee regular updates. All depends on access to the internet.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/varekai28/

Andrew
escape

Post by escape »

Thanks Andrew, i will follow your blog, i hope you have a nice trip.
Michel
Chenoa, #377