Anchor Bridle

Tips on Cruising, Information on Sailing Destinations and Stories about Trips Taken
Cathyalan

Anchor Bridle

Post by Cathyalan »

Has anyone used an anchor bridle using the padeyes on the amas? I use a Danik hook for anchoring which would lend itself very easily to a bridle.

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
Dan

Anchor Bridle

Post by Dan »

I wouldn't use the padeyes on the amas. They're really not substantial enough to work for an anchoring or mooring bridle. I have installed 8" pop-up cleats on the amas that will be used for rafting up, anchor bridles, mooring bridles, etc. The new cleats are backed with a 3/8" garolite backing plate that has been epoxied to the underside of the ama top. Some additional fiberglass was added to help transfer the loads from the top to the bottom of the ama, and they are located near the akas (crossbeams) so that the loads are also transferred to the main hull well.
luigisante

Anchor Bridle

Post by luigisante »

While I was rebuilding my hulls, I put extremely strong padeyes front and rear on the Amas. They are backed by a plywood, kevlar sandwich, which was epoxied and glassed into the forepeak and stern of each ama. A part of my thinking was for an anchor bridle, safety line anchor point, and drouge sea anchor mount. I think mine are plenty strong for this purpose. I also have large cleats with backers right behind them as well as an alternative location.

Lou