Sailing Charlotte Harbor

Tips on Cruising, Information on Sailing Destinations and Stories about Trips Taken
dcarl

Sailing Charlotte Harbor

Post by dcarl »

We finally made it down to Charlotte Harbor to sail. We got there on the 10th of March and pulled out on the 17th. A great week of sailing, great weather. Put in at Pine Land Marina on Pine Island, lots of secure parking and it put us closer to the area we wanted to sail .Image

Friends with a Corsair Dash, 24 ft, brought their boat down and we sailed together.Image They don’t really have a cabin on the Dash, just a cubby in the bow so they more or less camped on the boat. Image

We took two 9 ft set upon kayaks with us which tucked away real well on the webbing of the alma’s. Spent several afternoons exploring after we anchored. Image We saw dolphins, manatees, osprey, and lots of other sea birds on the trip. Of course a dolphin doesn't stand still for many pictures nor does a manatee but seagulls do when they're looking for a handout. Image

Great sailing with my wife Janis and good friends. Image

David Carl
ShockWave #327
Pensacola
dcarl

Sailing Charlotte Harbor

Post by dcarl »

Steve,

Thanks.
The square pack is a Life Sling for man overboard. It contains a float and line.

David Carl
seicam

Sailing Charlotte Harbor

Post by seicam »

Very nice pictures. Really makes me want to go and sail. Too bad the boat is still in the storage. Just starting to prep her for the season, should be in water by May 1st. It's still too cold here in WA.

Your genoa seems to have a "window" installed. Did you have it as factory installed option, or have you put it in later?

Regards,
Maciek
dcarl

Sailing Charlotte Harbor

Post by dcarl »

We had windows put in both the Genoa and Screecher locally, Shurr Sail about 60 each.

/David
Ron

Sailing Charlotte Harbor

Post by Ron »

David -

I still had the boat in the water March 10 thru 17. Didn't see you out there. I usually sail in the area between the upper harbor (Punta Gorda) and Burnt Store Marina. I started putting the boat away about April 1. It's sitting covered on the lift now, probably won't be back until the end of October. Charlotte Harbor is a nice place to sail. Pretty good protection on most windy and choppy days.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"