Telstar 28 to Bahamas

Tips on Cruising, Information on Sailing Destinations and Stories about Trips Taken
Dan

Telstar 28 to Bahamas

Post by Dan »

jmcfarlane wrote:Hi Kurt,

Thanks for the response. I normally keep the Jo Sea Maria at Lake Lanier in the Atlanta area but I do venture out from time to time for some salt water sailing (Naples to Key West, Miami to Key West, Key West to the Dry Tortuguas and return, Wilmington, NC to Little River, SC, and the much criticized Pompano Beach to West End, Bahamas trip). I would love to try Key West to Havana if I can ever figure out how to do it legally.
Next year, there is a regatta that is going to Havana, and I believe the paperwork involved allows US-based boats to go to Havana legally. One of my friends is planning on going in his Corsair 31. The regatta is hosted out of the Sarasota Yacht Club and has a website located HERE.
I am glad to be a part of the TelStar Owners Association and hope to expand my knowledge accordingly. One problem that has occured on almost every one of the blue water ventures has been some water flooding in the main cabin emanating from the bilge. I believe I read on a previous forum report that the source of this problem may be the fresh water tank. Any thoughts on this?

Jim
Was the water fresh or salt? Obviously, if the water is fresh, it has to be from the tank. If it is salt, then it has to be from another source. If the water was fresh, I would recommend looking at the join where the top of the tank is attached to the bottom of the tank. On several boats, there have been gaps or leaks in the sealant there. I would recommend using a NSF-approved food grade silicone sealant for the joint, rather than 5200, especially if you use the water tank water for cooking or drinking purposes. However, I'd point out that it takes a fair amount of water to fill the bilge to the point where it exits the inspection panel.
Dan

Telstar 28 to Bahamas

Post by Dan »

Freshwater doesn't conduct electricity very well... so you could test it with a volt-ohm meter. :-) Resistance for freshwater would be significantly higher. You could use a sample from your galley faucet as a control sample. If it is about the same resistance as the galley faucet sample, it is likely from the tank, otherwise it is likely salt water and will have lower resistance.
jmcfarlane wrote:Thanks, Dan, on both counts. I could take a sample of the water next time flooding occurs---Is there a quick and easy way to test for fresh or salt water other than to taste it?

Jim
trashpad

Telstar 28 to Bahamas

Post by trashpad »

Jim,

If it is salt water,

Take a close look at the joint at the bottom of the mast support tube. The center board trunk vents inside the mast support tube and if the seal at the base is not good you can get a leak there that will look like it came from the tank. Also look at the center board control system for leaks.

I would look at the center board trunk next. On the older hulls, the center board is not as tall above the pivot. This allows the top of the center board to push against the side of the trunk and cause cracks. The newer hulls have a taller section above the pivot.

Kurt
PNW Telstar

Re: Telstar 28 to Bahamas

Post by PNW Telstar »

Hello -
Can anyone point me to the original post/story that these replies were made to (>10 years ago) - I would really like to read J McFarlane's original story of this gulf stream crossing attempt and see the photos. Or, if someone remembers the details, would they be willing to PM with me about them?
Thanks...