Everglades Trip 2009 (Jan 5th - Jan 12th)

Tips on Cruising, Information on Sailing Destinations and Stories about Trips Taken
osprey

Post by osprey »

There is a group of trailer sailors that will be sailing out to the 10,000 Islands.
We will meet at Port of the Islands Marina on Jan. 5th and return on Jan. 12th,
give or take a day or two. Some of the group have indicated they will return
early and some have indicated they are staying longer. Also new this year,
there are 2 or 3 groups that will be tent camping. It's still not too late to join us.
Just e-mail me and I'll add you to my list. I know it's a bit late, but I though I would
mention the trip, just in case some of the Florida Telstar owners would like to join us.
So far we have 12 boats on the flotilla List. Here's the list. As you can see you don't
have to own a Telstar, but it would be neat to have another one along.

Terry & Dawn, Home Port - Havana, FL, S. V. - Telstar Tri
John & Colette, Home Port-Cape Coral, FL, S. V. - Seapearl-21
Ken & Brenda, Home Port - Kentucky, S. V. - Mac 26X
Mary & Dave, Home Port - Ontario, Can. S. V. Mac 26X
Bill, Home Port Crawfordville, FL, S. V. - Discovery 20 Tri
Scott, Dina and Captain Jordyn, Home Port Indiana, S.V. Belhaven 19
Roger & Kaye, Home Port Estero,Fl, S.V. Seapearl Tri
Gary & Celeste, Home Port Omaha, NE, S.V. Rob Roy 23
Don & Gail, Home Port Indiana, S.V. Catalina 22
Billy and Joyce, Home Port Bokeelia FL, S.V. Seapearl 28
Paul and Dodie, Home Port Bokeelia, FL, S.V. Seapearl Tri

Terry Poling
Telstar #340
onremlop

Post by onremlop »

Terry, we would have liked joining you, but our schedule didn't link up. We just got back from Ocala last week where we were there for a couple weeks. Got to Cedar Key, but didn't get a chance to sail. We were going to tow the Hobie down, but the weather lately made it too iffy, so we flew. We want to link up with you guys this year with our Telstar and do some sailing.
jeff432

Post by jeff432 »

So Terry, how was the trip? It sounded like fun. Hopefully we can join you some day. I'd love to hear your comments about the telstar's cruising performance vs. the other boats on the trip.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Hey Terry—

Any report or photo on your cruise??? Inquiring minds want to know. :-)

Jeff—

Comparing the Telstar 28 to the performance of the other boats listed there is going to be a bit useless, since the Telstar is by far the largest and fastest boat of the group. The Mac 26X might have more cabin space, but I’ve had my Telstar next to one and there’s a considerable size difference. The Sea Pearl 28, IIRC, is a 28' water-ballasted cat-ketch, and the largest of the Sea Pearl line of boats, probably with more cabin space than the Telstar, but not as fast or anywhere as big. The Sea Pearl Trimarans are neat beasties, but are really open boat micro cruisers.
osprey

Post by osprey »

Sorry for the delayed response. After returning home from the everglades trip our weather turned cold. It's been hard trying to get the boat cleaned up and everything put away. We also made a trip over to the east coast for a couple of days for a visit with my wife's daughter and family. Yesterday, I had minor surgery on my shoulder. So if this message doesn't make sense, I'll just blame it on the pills! The good news is the doc said the surgery went well and my recovery should only be 4 to 6 wks.

As always, we had a great time on the everglades trip this year. I've been going down to the 10,000 Islands for the past 20 years. The first 10 years was by kayak and tent camping. This is an annual event, so why not plan on making the trip with us next year? There are plenty of great places to anchor and also great beaches to set a tent up on. We had a total of 15 sailboats that made the trip this year. The weather was just about perfect with the high's near 80 and the low's in the mid 50's. Although the winds were light for most of the trip, we did manage to sail everyday. As Dan said it isn't fair to compare the Telstar with the other boats that made the trip. This is a fun cruise and most of the time I only sailed with the jib up. The only time I needed the main to keep up with the other boats was in very light air (below 5 kts) I'm all ready thinking about next year's event and hope some of you will be able to join us. Here's a couple links to pictures of the trip.

http://s485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/tpolng/
http://picasaweb.google.com/gfelix1/200 ... directlink
Dan

Post by Dan »

Thanks for the update. I just wish there were more photos of your boat. :)