Gemini 1039 "Moor Fun"

Tips on Cruising, Information on Sailing Destinations and Stories about Trips Taken
trashpad

Gemini 1039 "Moor Fun"

Post by trashpad »

Dan

Gemini 1039 "Moor Fun"

Post by Dan »

I recently helped deliver a Gemini 105Mc catamaran from Annapolis to Marion, Mass. You can read about it on my blog.

They're interesting boats...and it was a bit strange, since many of the systems are very similar to the ones on a Telstar 28, so I had a odd feeling of things not being quite right when doing things like raising the centerboards and lowering the rudders...
trashpad

Gemini 1039 "Moor Fun"

Post by trashpad »

I know what you mean. Kat and I have been thinking about upgrading and the Gem is a natural choice.
Ron

Gemini 1039 "Moor Fun"

Post by Ron »

Kurt -

You won't average 10 knots over 35 miles on a Gemini.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Dan

Gemini 1039 "Moor Fun"

Post by Dan »

True, but you can't sleep six on a Telstar comfortably... so it really depends on what your priorities are. I'd also point out that a Telstar can do 55 mph to windward...which a Gemini would have a tough, tough time with. :D
Ron wrote:Kurt -

You won't average 10 knots over 35 miles on a Gemini.
trashpad

Gemini 1039 "Moor Fun"

Post by trashpad »

Speed for three times the space. That is the question. Speed would be hard to give up but it would be nice for everyone to have their own bunk.
Dan

Gemini 1039 "Moor Fun"

Post by Dan »

All boats are compromises... it just depends on what your priorities are. If sailing ability and then comfort are the priorities, the Telstar works out well. If comfort and then sailing ability are key...the Gemini would be a better choice.
seicam

Gemini 1039 "Moor Fun"

Post by seicam »

For those of you interested in Gemini, I recommend this blog: http://www.theslapdash.com/index.html - a couple going around the world on a Gemini cat. Speaks well about the boat capabilities. And it's a fun read.

Maciek