Newport, Buzzards Bay

Tips on Cruising, Information on Sailing Destinations and Stories about Trips Taken
escape

Newport, Buzzards Bay

Post by escape »

Hi, I am planning to sail in Newport - Buzzards bay region, maybe sail to Nantucket or the Long Island Sound, the Gardiners Bay.

Does any one knows a good place to launch the boat? A safe place to keep the truck and trailer?

I studied the maps and the can be a lot of current between the Islands, is this region considered a toughs place to sail?

Since I will have my truck I am looking for a kind of central place to launch, we would like to go visit museum, parks and good restaurants, maybe go to America's cup ave. Any things worth seeing in this region?

Do I need a special permit to sail in those areas?

Thanks
Michel
Chenoa, #377
Gene

Re: Newport, Buzzards Bay

Post by Gene »

Sandwich "Harbor of Refuge" at the far (east) end of the canal has a good ramp, but I'm not sure how the parking is. You could call the Sandwich Harbormaster and inquire. There is also a good Corsair dealer in Wareham. I'Phone: 508-295-0095m sure they could give you some better ideas. They can be reached at: Phone: 508-295-0095.
Great weather this time of year, you'll have a lot of fun. Martha's Vineyard is a good stop as well and much more small boat friendly than Nantucket IMHO.
Gene
Plash Island, AL
USA
onremlop

Re: Newport, Buzzards Bay

Post by onremlop »

I think Dan Kim, who owned Pretty Gee would be the expert. Buzzards Bay was his home sailing grounds and he gave me a great deal of advice about my boat over the years. He is on faceboook and can be reached on his blog adrift at sea http://blog.dankim.com.