Outboard Engine Sled

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Hull52

Outboard Engine Sled

Post by Hull52 »

It looks like I'm ready to build an outboard mount for my Mark 1. Does anyone have any detailed pictures of the way that the sled is mounted to the boat? If possible, I would love to have measurements for the assembly. Has anyone had to make one? How about the T28s? Do they use the same mechanism and if so, are they available as replacement parts? Any help you can provide would be great.
Hull52

Re: Outboard Engine Sled

Post by Hull52 »

Anybody? Are there any engine sleds in Performance's yard that I can adapt?
primozk

Post by primozk »

Hi Hull52,

i was/am considering as well to rebuild the motor mount to the standard one. The prevoues owners of my boat (boutht it last year) have moved the stern which i don't feel optimal. If the time will allow i'd move it back to the original position. Searching for the photos of the original motor bracket i found some more detailed pictures from Trina. Maybe they can help - at least I got the idea how it's been made.

Using the sandard fittings I have last year added a smaller motor bracket with the idea for the tender's outboard and backup (fitted for Suzuki DF5).

Adding some photos, if you need some measures I'm just making some repairs and upgrades so I'm on the boat from Wed to Sat this week and also often in May.
IMG_1793s.jpg
**wanted to add some pictures but struggle with the posting to the thread. Can you send me a mail and i'll share the -- primoz.kolar@gmail.com

Regards, Primoz
---
Mk2, #143
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Primoz,

Any pictures or measurements you have would be greatly appreciated. My email is luigisante@comcast.net.

I'm just finishing up the woodwork in the cabin and am ready to concentrate on the cockpit, the rudder and hanging the outboard. Here's a couple shots of the inside. I should have all the woodwork back in and the entire cabin tidied up in a couple of weeks.

That's all I have left before taking the boat to a yard to have the rigging set up.

I'm thinking a 9.9hp Honda or Yamaha longshaft/high thrust/60A alternator w/remote controls on the tiller.

Would also like to see what you're thinking about a mount for an aux motor on an inflatable. Some kind of gin pole attached to the taffrail would be nice to help lifting the aux outboard which I think needs only to be a couple of HP, with a self contained gas tank.

BTW, the only way I know to post on here that works is to use a hosting site like Imjur or Imageshack and use the "img" code above. You have to put the link to the image between the codes.

Regards,

Lou
primozk

Post by primozk »

Hi Lou,

I just lifted the boat out of the water and try to do some changes and repairs during May (the wish list is quite long - repair on right ama, change the rudder, some repairs on the deck, new rig, eventually motor mount back to the original place...

To your post&questions
- nice woodwork -- I have rebuild the kitchen last year, a 1/2 bed is planned for this year.

- rudder -- my existing is terrible - heavy (no compenstaion), no profile - wood plank only,... so i'll go for a spade rudder, liftable (unless i add a fixed keel below - the centerboard was also removed sometime in the past and only a very small keel was mounted.

- motor -- I had a Yamaha 8 High Trust - after it failed few times the new one is a Mercury 9.9 High Trust, long shaft. If you go for Yamaha maybe consider XL shaft (might also honda has it). My alternator gives 6A / 72W -- as i remember Yamaha has ca 140W did not read for a 60A version (typo?)

- Aux motor for the inflatable-- I have a 5HP Suzuki from the prevous boat. The 27kg are hard to handle... -- therefore I added the blue motor mount so i can lower it to the water and move from T26 to the tender (that's at least the idea - build but not used).
On the other hand considering to go for a light weight engine - like Honda 2.3 or some older Tohatsu/Mercury 3.5 two stroke -- those are at about 13 kg what is manageable. with long shaft even as a backup.

Different details & ideas
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ongGMWcvt4S9QWkM6

Small collection of my boat
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TRkwehiT2j58LfEF9

Hope you find smth helpful.

Best wishes,
Primoz
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

I'm rebuilding the original rudder. I have a kick up rudder from an F27 that the original owner apparently used but IO want to duplicate the telstar rudder. I will have to hand shape it. It's next on my list. I'll get you pics when I can.
JoeS.

Post by JoeS. »

Has anyone successfully added a second usable outboard bracket to either a 26 or 8m?

After a 23-year hiatus I'm hoping to put my 8m Second Tri back into the water. Have added 48v banks for a Torqeedo, but for Pacific Northwest long-distance motoring I'm afraid I need the redundancy of a hybrid configuration.