What model is my Telstar?

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Frank Rayong

What model is my Telstar?

Post by Frank Rayong »

Hi guys out there
I bought my Telstar without knowing it is one. I figured it out later as i found some pictures in internet that seems to be the same like my boat and that it is a Telstar.
I just would like to know what model it is exactly and where i might find the hull serial number.
These days the boat is under heave rebuild to get rid of all blisters and cracks and damages.
Tips about how to repair the swing keel as it stuck and the bottom is quiet rotten as well so i have to replace fiber and other compounds too.
Without the sailing performance is too low.
Any advice and tips are very welcome.
Thank you very much advanced.
Br Frank
Attachments
13862.jpg
13862.jpg (117.46 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
13863.jpg
13863.jpg (141.75 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
Hull52

Re: What model is my Telstar?

Post by Hull52 »

I think you have a Mark 1 Frank. Your hull number should be etched on the back of the amas and on a plastic plate in the engine compartment. To be absolutely sure, I would have to see an interior shot and a shot of the brackets on the bottom of the deck/hull seam. The Mark IIs had a modified underside with a different bracket. It also had a raised floor in the cabin and only limited head room.

I have a lot of old information about the Mark I, as I have been rebuilding one in my yard for decades. You will probalby have to rebuild at least a portion of the centerboard case, which is no easy task. If you have an interior picture, that might help me to give you a postive ID of your boat.
Frank Rayong

Re: What model is my Telstar?

Post by Frank Rayong »

Dear Hulls
I am actually not at home in Thailand now and on site in Vietnam working. I will try to make some shoots when i am back home.
Actually i rebuild the complete boat as it has an awfully number of cracks and blisters.
The amas or site floats had cracks at both bracket areas around the fiber and deck compounds start separating due to fouling
and just keep by the rivets, the inner wooden stringers where rotten completely. I cut the deck from the amas out as they where flexy too
and started grinding all bad material of from the inside hulls. We water hosed it to get rid of the acid and let id dry out and that several times.
Grind it again and wash it with aceton and then start rebuilding with a layer of fiber in epoxy, gluing the cracks back to position and building
it up like it was before might be a little more to increase the strength. Instead of the upper stringers from wood i use honey comp panels and for hull repair as well
it is easy to work with and it looks like that is give sufficient strength and wont rot again. The first ama is insite almost finished and i plan to seal it with gel coat as i want to use it as storage too. It gets really rigid again but still need to do the outer hull.But now the second ama will undergo the same procedure and then prepare both to get new decks. the decks will get 3 hatches so can better use the amas for storage and will build from honey comp as well. The main body has to undergo the same procedure and i was thinking about lifting the cabin deck about 10 or 15 cm to go over the centre board and get enlarged sleeping area. I want to change mast to as the old one is not in good condition and thinking about using instead of now 9 meter length 12 meter and enlarge sail surface and so finally travel speed. I really like the boat and want to bring it back to 99% condition.I have a lot ideas and also want to try things out.
LG Frank