26 rebuild

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Jamie G

26 rebuild

Post by Jamie G »

Hi All 26 members
I recently purchased a 26" telstar. The hull is in good shape but the inside has been completely ripped out. I am currently doing some work on the interior and would like to see some pictures of how other owners have set out the interior. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
Hull52

Re: 26 rebuild

Post by Hull52 »

Hi Jamie:

You probably don't have access to the member section of this board but I have a multi year thread documenting my complete rebuild of a Mark I Telstar 26. I am likely christening my boat sometime next year. My boat was literally a hull and the two amas. All of the interior was rotted, the hull was full of water, all of the lexan was gone, as well nearly all of the metal parts, such as the brackets.

Here is a shot of my boat from this last summer.

I and others on this site could probably be a good source of information for your rebuild. I have a lot of the original literature and some of the old Newsletters from the Telstar assn.

Probably the biggest improvement in the cabin was lowering the floor to allow for full headroom throughout the cabin.

View from the cockpit looking forward.

And from the forepeak looking aft.

Forepeak with shower drain/discharge.

I also added bunk beds that fold down to a setee on the port side. The boat has been completely rewired but I stayed with the original fuses instead of upgrading to breakers.

All of the wiring runs along the cabin coachroof which is covered with a white beadboard ceiling.

Here is the centerboard that I built from scratch with only a tracing from another Mark I (did the same with the hull brackets) and here is the centerboard case with my modified lifting/lowering mechanism.

Let me know what I can do to help your project. What model T26 do you have (Mark I, Mark II or 8 Meter)?

Lou Giansante
Medford New Jersey
Jamie G

Post by Jamie G »

Hi Lou
Thank you for the photos. you have given me a few ideas now. Lowering the floor look to be a good option, did this affect the hull stability at all? Not sure what model i have but was told it is a 26 foot. Will be searching around Gizmo this weekend to see if i can find a hull number. I believe that she is a mid 70's model. Will try am post some current photos over the next week or so.

Cheers Jamie
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Jamie G wrote:Hi Lou
Thank you for the photos. you have given me a few ideas now. Lowering the floor look to be a good option, did this affect the hull stability at all? Not sure what model i have but was told it is a 26 foot. Will be searching around Gizmo this weekend to see if i can find a hull number. I believe that she is a mid 70's model. Will try am post some current photos over the next week or so.

Cheers Jamie
Is your boat in the UK? I had just heard of a 26' for sale in Virginia that was a basket case inside. Do you know its previous name?

A mid-70s boat would likely be a Mark 1. If you take a shot of the interior, I can probalby tell you what type it is. Hull numbers are usually (1) on a metal or plastic plate in the rear compartment and (2) scratched into the back of both amas.

When I lowered the floor, I kept the main bulkhead located between the forepeak and the main cabin and replaced all of the other partial bulkheads at their same location in the hull, only lowered by 6" or so. The hull does not deflect at all while sitting on the trialer. Since I haven't had it in the water since I did the work, I don't know about the strength of the hull in the water, but my guess is that it is at lease as strong as the original.

Good luck with your project.

Lou G.
Jamie G

Post by Jamie G »

Hi Lou

Compliments of the season to you.
I have had a good look at Gizmo and the floor is already lowered in the original fit out. I will keep looking for the hull number as have not found it so far. Strip out continues. I am having trouble with the photo uploads. All the strip out photos are on my instagram page @ jamie007grierson.

Regards
Jamie
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Hi Jamie,

Your Telstar is a Mark II. It has he improved Amas, lowered floor, bigger bulges and different brackets on the folding hulls. You have more cabinet space inside an a different centerboard set up. I looks to be in decent condition. I had a lot of delamination to deal with.
JoeS.

Post by JoeS. »

Hi Lou G., that interior is simply beautiful! That cabin overhead is very neatly done!

Jamie G., Sorry I don't have any pix of my 8m interior, but on the port aft I had torn out the head compartment and now have a small hanging locker with aft-facing chart table against it and a small table next to it up against the window for a computer and combination TV and computer display screen + some battery (48v & 12v) instrumentation (one's legs fit under this table when sleeping). In the main cabin on the starboard side the layout is pretty much as Lou has his. I've cut holes into the main bulkhead so I can see where I'm going when down below. The forward compartment is similar to Lou's with a single bunk, but no shower. The porta-potti can sit in that forward compartment but I preferred to keep it in the cockpit when cruising alone. Jamie, you are fortunate to be able to build whatever/however you want - give some thought to what your primary use for the boat will be and focus on satisfying that, but also consider who else (besides yourself) you might need to keep happy. Have fun!
Jamie G

Post by Jamie G »

Hi All

Thank you for the advise and ideas. I will be back on the repair this weekend. Gizmo will mainly be used for cruising so want to fit her out for comfort. Will keep updating on the progress.
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

JoeS. wrote:Hi Lou G., that interior is simply beautiful! That cabin overhead is very neatly done! ...
Thanks Joe,

I've been at it long enough! It's just as well though, as I bought my boat just when I started my own law practice and expanded my family. I've had very little time for any real crusing and have had to satisfy myself with afternoons in my driveway rebuilding this 26 footer. I'm pleased with the way it turned out. All that's left is lofting the rudder, adding an outboard motor mount, some minor finishing glasswork and bonding on all the remaining hardware. I should be able to have it water ready in a couple of months this year. I'm shooting for a mid-summer launch. Thanks for all your help over the years.

Regards,

Lou
Jamie G

Post by Jamie G »

Good Morning All

Does anyone have the length specification for the inner stay on the mast for a MK2? Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers
Jamie