26 rebuild

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Hull52

Re: 26 rebuild

Post by Hull52 »

I'm no help there ... the Mark 1 mast doesn't have a baby stay.
Frank Rayong

Post by Frank Rayong »

Hi out there
I bought my Telstar 26 about 4 years ago in Thailand in worn out condition. First cracks at Amar brackets in the fiber and other areas lots of blistering but still able to sail
and good fun.
When i bought it i even don't know that it is a Telstar and where it come from. Some of the Marine guys around my area Rayong in Thailand took a look at the boat and said it look very much Thai made.
I did some minor repairs at the beginning and just used it and had a lot fun. During the thrid year too much water entered the boat and i figured out that decks rotten and flexing and that the crack got more serious, the lifting keel or centre board do not go down anymore and many other issues like that the mast and mast food is not in good condition anymore.
We build a trailer from steel beams with 2 axles and the design worked out and it carries the good old boat fine.
I had some time in between the jobs that feed our life and managed it to get it out before it sunk. That day was a lot of water inside and the bilge pump run about 2 hours to got it out.
It is now about 1 year in front of the house and drying out, ripping everything out what was rotten. We started to grind the color and plastering of the amars and cut the decks out as they where too flexy anyhow. Cleaning the inside of the amars , grinding all defect material of , restiffen the cracked areas with lots of fiber and good epoxy resin.
Like first cleaned all wash it out with aceton and gave it a new layer fiber with epoxy,then get the stringers redone and more in numbers but use instead of wood honeycomp pannels. The first amar start looking good again and get rock solid but still the outer hull has to get the crack areas build up again and then get a final layer fiber with epoxy to repalce the grinded of material. The decks section was original glued and riveted. I decided to glue it in with epoxy and installed a wood frame in the inner area already to build it ub and glue around and get the deck in again with glue and lamination.
The mast i had on it is just 9 meter and looks like it was stepped back for some reason. I contacted Rolly Tasker in Puket and i would like to replace the complete rigging and mast with a 12 meter long one and they can over it for a reasonable price. When the amars are finished and the body as well i would like to put some extra sword with foiling wing at the brackets as it might compensate the higher load from the longer mast and more sail like lift up and push against the wind direction. I like the idea and want to test it, why it should not work!?
I really like the boat and the general situation in Thailand is that you wont get a good boat for a reasonable price, so i decided to do the complete overhaul.
What i like to have is some more proper details about the lifting keel construction and how to rebuild or repair. And actually what model i have it looks it is the 26MK1 from the first days but till now i was not able to find a serial number/ hull number and i really would like to know the year build and identify the model.
Might be able to find out a little bit about the history. Thank you guys advanced for any kind of help in this matter.
Keep in touch Frank
Attachments
amar overhaul
amar overhaul
thumbnail_IMG_1286.jpg (165.68 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
Telstar 26
Telstar 26
16865.jpg (177.21 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
Telstar 26
Telstar 26
13863.jpg (141.75 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Frank,

Was the name Petrel on the boat when you got it? I vaguely recall that there was a boat named Stormy Petrel from the old Telstar Owner's association. I might be able to check out some old newsletters that I still have lying around. I sent a bunch of my originals to someone to copy and they never came back but I might have a few tucked away in the closet.

Lou Giansante

Hull52/Mark 1
Frank Rayong

Post by Frank Rayong »

Hy Luis
yes i was the name Petrel on the boat as i bought it. I bought it from a french guy that needed to return to Europe.
I bet that it is one of the first Hull No 51 Mark 1, very believable due to the actually condition. I send you a nice amount of picture
on your private mail already.
Br Frank
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Looks like I wired the old fuse panel correctly. Here is the under-cabinet lighting.

and the companion way lights.

I want to substitute the white bulbs in the companionway lighting and the overhead dome light with red LED bulbs for using when running at night. Here is the cabin ceiling.

I should have all the wiring completed by the end of the month.
Last edited by Hull52 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Jamie

I don't have a baby-stay on my Mark 1 Rig. They came later.
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

The Doors with 2 fresh coats of Cetol. Should last for a long time inside.

Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

The Cabin is basically done. All that's left is some trim under the hatch and the final wiring back to the battery bank in the old engine compartment. All that's left is some work in the cockpit, the rudder and the engine sled. The boat should splash by late-July or early August. Looks great in there.

Love these Lexan doors over the carve outs in the forepeak. Since I want to have a shower in that space, I want the openings covered. I like the look so much, I'll probably do the same to the cut outs in the cockpit below the winches, which appear to be a haven and favored nesting place for wasps.

The Floor is in. I am so glad I went with a vinyl floor. It is very sure under foot. No slipping. In hind sight, however, the lighter teak color might have looked better.

Here's the ceiling (coach-roof?). The trim makes it look rich and really tightens up the individual tongue & groove planks. It's amazing how light the entire roof is.

Here is the PVC conduit I ran from the back of the bulkhead to the base of the area housing the distribution panel.

Can't wait to have it all wired up and have the cabin/running lights working.

So do I have the nicest Mark 1 on the planet? My wife says I'm going to miss having the boat in the driveway to work on every day.

I just can't wait to sail it.
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Check out the mad wiring job. The boat is completely re-wired using the original panel and all new switches.

Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Cabin is basically done. I need cushions made eventually. Time to clean-up the inside and onto the cockpit.

Lou

Hull 52
S/V Hammerhead