26 rebuild

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Hull52

Re: 26 rebuild

Post by Hull52 »

Here are some recent pictures. The electrical panel is done and reassembled. A 10 gauge wire runs from the panel to a place in the engine compartment where a 2 battery switch will be mounted.

Screens are also done. Here's the hatch.

And the screen in the door from inside and out.

Jamie G

Post by Jamie G »

Good Afternoon All
I am looking for a second hand set of sails for my 26. The sails that I am currently using are not the sails for her but do the job. Any suggestions please.
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

If you're going to find a set, you'll probably find them here. They are hard to find though. You might also consider contacting Dave Bering if he is still alive. He is a sailmaker in Erie Pennsylvania who made the original sails for the Telstar in England. I have the address around here somewhere. I'll look it up. If there is a used set anywhere, he'll likely know. I had him make me a new main.

Lou
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

So very close to being done. Punch list: rudder, engine pod, cockpit hardware and bottom paint.

JoeS.

Post by JoeS. »

Lou, your boat looks absolutely beautiful!
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

JoeS. wrote:Lou, your boat looks absolutely beautiful!
Thanks Joe. When I bought the boat, I thought I would have plenty of time to do the refit it needed. Just after that, I started my own business and had my third child. Although I didn't have a lot of time for the boat after that, I kept it in my driveway, making what progress I could. I had always wanted to rebuild an old British car. I guess this is as close as I got.

It looks like I'm very close to finished but there are always details that pop up and my experience is that jobs that I do hurriedly, I wind up doing over. I'm quite pleased with the way it is turning out.

I have the rudder assembly to complete and an engine mount to build. At that point, it's ready to sail. If you're ever on the east coast after I get it wet, you're welcome any time.

Here are some new photos.

Securing these doors to the engine bay has been a real problem. No matter what I tried, I could not stop leaks into the old engine compartment. My solution is a hand-cut, one piece gasket made out of neoprene sheet.

Here it is in position before being glued in place. I also screwed down the base of the assembly. Everything is tight now. When it is closed, the engine compartment finally stays dry.

The cockpit floor is covered with a grey matt that feels good on the feet and helps keep debris out of the cockpit drain. The problem I had was that the cockpit has the second well that the mat could not span. I had to make a brace for under the mat.

Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Cockpit is basically done. Only thing left is the rudder and gudgoens.

Barient 22 winches and lexan doors on the opening under the winch mount. Looking for a self tailer conversion. Anybody know if Winchmate makes a self tailer for the 22? (Answer … they don't). I have to say that I love the look of the lexan doors on the side cut in the cockpit.

Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Picked up LED bulbs for the rest of the boat at the boat show. Now, the whole boat is lit with LED lights. Put red bulbs in the dome light for night sailing. The cabin looks like a submarine on patrol. "Rig for silent running."