Revamped 1976 Telstar Mk II

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Windchaser

Revamped 1976 Telstar Mk II

Post by Windchaser »

I've just joined the forum and sail Phoenix, a 1976 Telstar Mark II, in England on the South Coast. I've had Phoenix since 1994 and made lots of modifications.
I thought fellow forumites might like to see these two videos I made. Phoenix was stretched to 30ft with a sugar scoop stern in 2001, plus a new rudder and skeg and carbon fiber tiller. She's been re-engineered a lot. The old pop-rivetted hull-deck joint flange was cut off and re-glassed from the inside giving a much more streamlined look. In the cabin, the galley and chart table have been totally re-built and the floor has been lowered. New fixed brackets have replaced the old rusted ones on the outriggers. I never trailed anyway. But I've sailed her cross-Channel to France, Guernsey, Jersey and Alderney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JE7LURiuIM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFn9g0hfYbo
Attachments
This shot shows the new porthole in the door
This shot shows the new porthole in the door
IMG_4106__1421865400_64127.jpg (71.5 KiB) Viewed 3895 times
JoeS.

Re: Revamped 1976 Telstar Mk II

Post by JoeS. »

"Windchaser", what a simply beautiful refurbishment of our venerable Telstar! Thank you for posting your videos and for being an inspiration to those of us with older Telstars to get our butts into gear and roll up our sleeves and get our boats back into the water! It looks as though that extended transom provides a much smoother ride in choppy waters, and glad to see you enjoying the fruits of your labours.
Joe Siudzinski (hoping to soon relaunch my 48v Torqeedo-powered Telstar 8m after a 16-year hiatus)
Windchaser

Post by Windchaser »

Joe, you've been an inspiration for many years -– going back to your amazing solo trip to Alaska. I also followed your adventures in Oz with a Seawinds cat. I'm so glad to hear you've still got your Telstar. Here's hoping to read more about her and you!
Bigs

Post by Bigs »

Amazing refurb, well done!
Danielesaba.sed

Post by Danielesaba.sed »

Ciao qualcuno ha il progetto della allungamento della poppa???
La barca ne trae vantaggi da questa modifica?
Grazie a chi potrà essermi d aiuto....
Windchaser

Post by Windchaser »

Here are some photos of the new fixed rudder built onto the original transom. I can measure the exact depth/draft if you need it?
Ecco alcune foto del nuovo timone fisso montato sullo specchio di poppa originale. Posso misurare l'esatta profondità / brutta copia se ne hai bisogno?
Attachments
Rudder 45kb.jpg
Rudder 45kb.jpg (42.92 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
Rudder 57kb.jpg
Rudder 57kb.jpg (53.19 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
Danielesaba.sed

Post by Danielesaba.sed »

Questo telstar 26 penso sia il più bello al mondo...ho seguito i video del restauro...bellissimo! ma quella pala del timone è sufficiente sia a vela che motore?
Windchaser

Post by Windchaser »

Grazie per il tuo gentile commento. Sì, il timone è molto buono per una guida precisa e una resistenza minima attraverso l'acqua. Il motore è un fuoribordo a due tempi da 8 CV sul lato sinistro dello scafo con timone indipendente.
Translation: Thanks for your kind comment. Yes, the rudder is very good for accurate steering, as well as minimal drag through the water. The engine is an 8hp two-stroke outboard on the left side of the hull with independent tiller steering.
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Nice boat. I've seen your videos. I would appreciate a clear shot of your motor mount. The last thing I need to do on my Mark I is a mount for the 9.9 I want to mount.

Lou.
Windchaser

Post by Windchaser »

Here is a photo of the outboard bracket. I used to have a very heavy 10hp Honda 4-stroke, but went back to a lighter-weight Tohatsu 8hp two stroke. The sugar scoop isn't squatting/dragging too much in the water and there's plenty of power to drive me long in flat calms at 5-6 knots. In the slightest breeze, it's always quicker to sail. The bracket is fixed to the main hull and doesn't lift or move.
Attachments
Phoenix 135.jpg
Phoenix 135.jpg (130.38 KiB) Viewed 3068 times