Telstar 8m launched

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Stormy Petrel

Telstar 8m launched

Post by Stormy Petrel »

After being on the hard for 11 years I finally launched my boat named Brolga this week. The boat was possibly the last one made in the U.K. by Tony Smith It is lighter than most other Telstars and as a result is a great sailer and is a perfect small cruiser for the Chesapeake Bay her home.

It took most of this year and much work in prior years to get the boat seaworthy. The 11 years delay was due to health problems, family issues, and that it was dropped by the boatyard smashing the inner and outer hulls. Fortunately the company that repaired the boat did an excellent job resulting in the hulls being being lighter and stronger than before. Now I am looking forward to a few sails to satisfy a much awaited sailing fix before I return it to overwinter on the hard for an early launch next sailing season.

P.S. My previous posts are under the name Petrel.
Hull52

Re: Telstar 8m launched

Post by Hull52 »

Congratulations. What great news.
escape

Post by escape »

Congratulations, do you have pictures?
Michel
Chenoa, #377
Stormy Petrel

Post by Stormy Petrel »

Jerry, escape, and Hull 52 thanks for your kind comments,

I sailed my boat earlier this week which made all the waiting and work worth it. The boat still sails very well and with better sails will undoubtably do a lot better. All the systems worked with only one exception, the depth sounder. And considering the amount of work and how many systems required work one failure is not too bad. And it is something I can fix during the winter layup.

I will attempt to post some photos in later.

The following is a partial list of the larger projects I have done on the boat over the years excluding the aforementioned hull repairs:

Fabricated two new outer hull chainplates and backing plates and installed them.
Replaced the outer shrouds and forestay.
Installed a Harken Roller Furler and had the old fore sails modified with luff tape.
Added a block on the mast 2 feet above the forestay hounds for a future screecher sail - the boat is 7/8 fractional rig.
Replace the old halyards new low stretch line.
Partially installed a bowsprit then removed it to be installed overwinter - I realized I did not have time to complete this and to launch the boat this year.
Reworked all stanchion mounting pads and installed garolite backing plates - the original setup was a joke and totally unsafe.
Reworked and polished the stanchion bases and mounted them.
Fabricated one new stanchion and polished all the stanchions before installation.
Fabricated stanchion ferrules for the new lifelines.
Brummel spliced all new AmSteel Blue Dyneema lifelines - the lifelines are easily removed for over winter storage
Replaced all incandescent navigation lights with LEDs including a masthead tricolor, anchor light, steaming light, and deck light.
Rebuilt the Suzuki 9.9 oil injected 2 stroke outboard motor.
Installed a Group 31 Gell Cell.
Replaced the old almost non functional solar panels with 2 new solar panels - the boat is electrically self sufficient and does not need shore power.
Removed all the external wood trim which required an inordinate amount of time each year to keep varnished and replaced the seat backs and cabin top trim with Starboard and the grab rails with stainless steel tube.

This does not include the numerous other small projects and repairs etc.

Whew!
Stormy Petrel