Telstar 26 mk 2

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Karl

Telstar 26 mk 2

Post by Karl »

Telstar 26s were originally marketed as cruiser racers I have a mk 2 sail no 159 needs a little work. Maybe more than a little I sail single handed most of the time and covered some 700 miles + in my first year. Here's the crux I'd like a little more emphasis on the racer as I get a lot of pleasure in raceing larger monos can anyone advise on ways to improve performance many thanks karl
sandeb2

Re: Telstar 26 mk 2

Post by sandeb2 »

1. reduce weight in any way possible.
2. put in longer struts to amas, raising them up slightly so only one of them is in the water at any one time.
3. get bigger and or newer sails [if they are baggy]
4. get your sail rig tuned up [stays, sail trim adjustments like up, out and down hall.
--have an experience sail racer sail with you to do number 4.

call me if you need explanation. sandy 888-387-1963
Sandy & Debbie Williamson Telstar 8M #254
WORDBoats.com & HeliCat.net & WORDyachts.com S cell:253-376-8273 or 888-387-1963
Spanaway, WA 98387 near Seattle
Karl

Post by Karl »

I am in the process of taking everything off that doesn't need to be there. Also fitting full baton end main and 150% genoa. I have considered raising the armas and lengthening the main hull with a type of sugar scoop. It was suggested this May benefit performance in light airs but would be counter productive with more wind as the extra heel will cause the wind to spill from the sails. Would appreciate you input thanks karl
sandeb2

Post by sandeb2 »

The only disadvantage of lengthening the main hull with a type of sugar scoop is added weight at the stern which counteracts some of the benefit of added buoyancy at the stern. You could also move other weight forward like batteries fuel and water tanks. however the biggest weight trim is people. having them sit on the bow will do more than anything you would do with motors or other heavy items.
Sandy & Debbie Williamson Telstar 8M #254
WORDBoats.com & HeliCat.net & WORDyachts.com S cell:253-376-8273 or 888-387-1963
Spanaway, WA 98387 near Seattle
Karl

Post by Karl »

Can any mk II owners tell me where the normal location of the gas locker should be I've purchased a propex heater to extend my sailing season . I was going Togo for a charcoal heater but lack of wall space was a major issue . I believe 10 hp is the preferred outboard does anyone use anything smaller without any major problems
Windchaser

Post by Windchaser »

Karl,
the gas locker on the Mk II is part of the anchor locker. Open the fore hatch on deck and you will see the moulded inset recess for a gas bottle beside a drain hole on the starboard side (that's where it is on my MK II.)
Adding a stern extension (sugar scoop) with a fixed skeg and rudder was the best modification made to my Telstar MK II, Phoenix. It boosted speed not only by increasing the waterline, but preventing hobby-horsing in short, sharp choppy waves.

As others have said, reducing weight is the biggest speed booster. I use an 8 hp Tohatsu, which is fine for motoring and the lighter weight stops my stern digging in. I also added a code zero on a Facnor furler for light winds, plus a new 105% radial Solent jib, in Dimension-Polyant HydraNet, with roller furling, which sheets to the inner track on the coachroof. These two sails are the best comination I've had for sailing, getting rid of the big genoa which never had a good shape when furled.
The solent jib and a fully battened mainsail gets me an 8-8.5 average cruising speed.