Raising and lowering a Telstar Mk II mast

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Peter

Raising and lowering a Telstar Mk II mast

Post by Peter »

Hi,

After 6 yrs on a trailer I've finally put my Telstar back in the water! :-) I was planing on using a crane to put the mast up, however have decided that I will try and dso the job myself using a "'gin pole"" and some stabilising wires. Anyone out there had any experience of this approach on an old Telstar?
Rick B

Re: Raising and lowering a Telstar Mk II mast

Post by Rick B »

Hi Peter

I have an 8mtr Sail Number 175 based at Leigh On Sea Essex age around 1975 to 1980

In my opinion best to fork out and use a crane. I broke the hinge pin section on the mast foot plate some years ago due to it twisting slightly when trying to locate the locking pin ( using a crane) I think the aluminium casting was showing signs of its age.

Impossible to get a replacement casting and had to drill it out get an expensive repair done by an aluminium welder (local airport) then re fit, I am now very cautious when removing and refitting the mast.

I know that the boat was sold as being able to raise and lower the mast easily however from my own point of view this is not the case in practice now that the mounting plate is over 30 years old.

Good luck with whatever method you try

Rick
Peter

Post by Peter »

Rick,

Sounds like very sensible advice! I think that I will go with a crane and think about replacing the foot plate etc with a fitting from a more modern trailer sailer. My intent is to end up with a boat that I get on/off the water single handed in a matter of a couple of hours max: Guess I need to think it through a bit more

Best regards

Peter
escape

Post by escape »

Hi, I have been raising/lowering mast on my previous 2 boats for many years all by myself. The Grampian 26 i had a simple wood A frame. On the C&C Mega 30 I made a system with my spinnaker pole and wires so I had everything on board, see the video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAXMSUZhh38

Now I own a T28, great system but very fragile. In all case take your time and double check everything especially when raising, you can break something easily if a wire get caught somewhere. Other than that it is great not to depend on any one to raise and lower your mast.
Michel
Chenoa, #377
jonathansykes

Post by jonathansykes »

I would go along with the recommendation of using a professional, which is what I do. It's done in 30 mins and they take the risk, and set up the mast. I know its a cost but so is repairing damage. To quote my rigger " you would be surprised at the number of people who have come to me after damaging the vessel trying to do it on their own."
I could probably count myself in that category as I frightened myself by letting a rope slip during a trial raising and avoided serious damage by the skin on my teeth.

I have looked at the do it yourself options on the internet. The Gin pole, the A Frame, the on board A crane.
Of all of them I like the sliding gooseneck brace system most of all. However I note that nearly all the videos show quite lightweight masts. One guy uses copper tubing as his braces!
My mast must be at least twice the weight. I have not tried this system so I cannot verify its rigidity.

Look at these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkb7njwtsjk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FJB8adKXvk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX9TRjBKCQ8

Good Luck
Jonathan Sykes
8m Telstar - "Morning Star"
Chichester. UK.
escape

Post by escape »

I had seem this picture of mast raising pole/frame on a Telstar 26 a while ago and I finaly found it: http://wordyachts.vflyer.com/home/flyer/home/235000240 you might be able to contact the owner for more details.

Best.
Michel
Chenoa, #377
Peter

Post by Peter »

Thanks everyone for these very interesting ideas. I'm going to study the subject and design, build and test a system for next year. Other boats seem to be able to do this with ease, there's no reason that the Telstar 26 shouldn't benefit from a little modern design!
jonathansykes

Post by jonathansykes »

I have and 8m Telstar, and this is what I do each season.

I use an A frame, a ladder, a chain hoist and 2 supports.
For photos of the arrangement set up in my back garden go to this address:
http://s844.photobucket.com/user/jonath ... ing%20Star

The A frame is made up of 2 poles of 25mm square section stainless steel about 2.7m long. This is actually just a little short and 3.0m would be better.
They are joined at the top with four bolts passing through two triangular plates to form the A shape.
A cross brace half way down is added to provide a little more rigidity to the A frame.

From the A frame is suspended a 1 ton capacity chain hoist.

To raise the Ama I tie a rung of the ladder onto the deck grab rail mid point between the hinges.
The A frame is placed the required distance away from the side of the boat and the ladder is dropped over the top. This supports the A frame quite adequately. There is very little horizontal stress on the frame and it is mostly vertical when fully raised.
I then use two tie down straps hooked onto the chain hoist to raise the ama. The straps from the hoist pass underneath the ama and up the inner side and the ends tie off onto cleats, one at the aft end and one at the forward end of the ama.
The chain hoist raises the ama with great ease and also prevents it falling back without any problem. I then chock up the ama with the variable height support so as to be able to work under the ama in complete safety to place and bolt up the brackets.
This arrangement is repeated for the other side when the brackets have been bolted into place.

The supports also stop the boat rotating in the trailer especially when dropping the amas at the end of the season when you need to lift the ama higher to get the brackets out from underneath.

It all works OK for me and all the equipment fits in the back of my estate car when dismantled.

I have used a winch and pulley system on the A frame but the hoist seams easier and quicker and adjustment up and down is quick, easy, and safe.
I found the hoist on the internet at a reasonable price not too different from a quality winch and cable.
I would recommend using straps to support and lift the ama from underneath. This has the advantage of spreading the weight over the width of the strap, which doesn't stretch too much either, unlike some rope. You would need a very strong deck attachment point if you were to lift them directly from above.

Hope this info helps.

Jonathan Sykes
Telstar 8m "Morning Star"
Chichester - UK
Jonathan Sykes
Chichester. UK.
jonathansykes

Post by jonathansykes »

Woops! Above post should have gone under FOLDING THE AMAS title.
Jonathan.
Jonathan Sykes
Chichester. UK.
sandeb2

Post by sandeb2 »

i have posted this before but all my posts were deleted when they changed BBS system.

with 2 10 foot 2x4s, a small winch, bolts and a block, and a little more wood, i can raise my mast by myself in about 45 min. and 30 min with help.
see pics at
https://plus.google.com/photos/10717133 ... 185?sort=1
Sandy & Debbie Williamson Telstar 8M #254
WORDBoats.com & HeliCat.net & WORDyachts.com S cell:253-376-8273 or 888-387-1963
Spanaway, WA 98387 near Seattle