Any original Mark I electrical panels?

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
luigisante

Any original Mark I electrical panels?

Post by luigisante »

I'm trying to use the original electrical panel on my Mark I. I just ordered replacement toggle switches and fuse holders. I'm a bit undecided whether to use the panel's common ground as it looks flimsy to me.

Here are photos and my observations. http://www.telstarowners.net/bb/viewtop ... &start=130 Anybody have one of these in their panel? Know how it works? Should I switch to a bussbar for the grounding.
Last edited by luigisante on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luigisante

Re: Any original Mark I electrical panels?

Post by luigisante »

If anyone has a picture of the back of their Mark 1 or 2 distribution panel I'm trying to figure out how Tony wired the master circuit.

Here is what I started with.

Here is the panel with new fuse holders and switches.

I have gotten this far from the original panel. The main switch and fuse were missing. Anybody that can help fill in the gaps. Has anybody replaced the "button" common ground with a busbar glued onto the back of the panel I think I have the fused circuits and need the tie-in for the main and common ground.

luigisante

Post by luigisante »

I think I'm starting to figure this out. I traced the voltmeter wires, which led back to the Master Switch. That wire (red) is linked to the second fuse, which appears to be the bridge between the Master Switch and the 4 linked circuit fuses.

Here is the Green (purple on the original) and red wire on the Master Switch.

I have them tied together but need some female-dual male connectors for connecting these and the cabin lights.

There are two leads that can be attached to a common bus bar for the black (common ground) leads. One comes from the 4 fused circuit group and one from the Master Switch and fuse combination. Since I'm not wiring a speedo ATM, I'm using those open switches to add a bilge pump and switched power socket (cigarette lighter type) under the voltmeter and next to the distribution panel. I am also considering wiring a second power socket over the chart table and providing power for a chart plotter that is going to be mounted over the chart-table. I am using a Fuji Q552 w/wireless GPU and Raster Charts. This way, I can take the Q552 out of its mounts and use it in the cockpit.

That looks to be the only modifications to the wiring and distribution panel ATM. I'm building into the Distribution network from the battery-regulator-fuse-Switch to the distribution panel so that a second panel would not be hard to add. That would allow for additional circuits as needed, if extra equipment, instruments or systems are added to the boat. I would probably keep them fused and just put the additional panel under this one on the Port Side Aft. The radio, will have a direct take-off from the battery, fused in-line. That should do it for now.

Work left to be done on the electrical is the tracing of all the existing wires and running the additional wires so I can close up the coach-roof. I would like to mount a battery and add a charger/shore plug fitting, so I can keep a battery charged and have working bilge pumps. I'll need wiring and coax for the mast. I'm putting an antenna, 360 white LED masthead light and wind vane up there. A windex light to illuminate the wind vane on the same circuit as the masthead light would be a nice comfort feature for night sailing.

While I have a soldering station set-up, I'm going to add the red and black leads with blade connections but they will be attached to the existing wires with an in-line butt connection/shrink wrap connection. That way, the panel can come completely out for modification if needed. I'm running mostly 14 gauge wire, with 16 g for the lighting. The radio power line will probably get 12 gauge running in the coach roof conduit by itself. I would like a radio that I can operate remotely from a plug in the cockpit. Wiring for that will probably need to be routed in the coach roof as well.
Gene

Post by Gene »

Just my opinion... but if $$$ aren't extremely tight, that would be one of my first UPGRADES if you intend on doing anything more than daysailing.
Plash Island, AL
USA
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

And here is the finished panel, ready to be wired to the fixtures and equipment.

Continuity bench tests seem to indicate that everything works properly.
Gene wrote:Just my opinion... but if $$$ aren't extremely tight, that would be one of my first UPGRADES if you intend on doing anything more than daysailing.
My focus, at this point, is getting an electrical system working on the boat, so I have the basics like running lights, etc. Daysailing and a few overnighters are about all that is on the agenda for the first sailing season. I had intended to start with a full rewiring and breaker panel, etc, but realized that I don't have any idea about how I'll be laying out the systems once I shake down the boat. Improvements are in the cards and, now that I have a better understanding of the power distribution on the boat, I can design a far better panel. That is why I left room in the coachroof to run new wires. It should be a lot easier to upgrade than it was to figure all of this out from scratch.

To be honest, I'm not even sure what kind of charging system I'll have at the start. I may be hanging a small outboard for auxiliary power, but if I'm able to get the jet drive installed, it will permit a completely different take on power.

I appreciate your thoughts Gene.

Lou