Nav lights.

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
luigisante

Nav lights.

Post by luigisante »

My mark one had four lights for Nav: red, green, stern and a white masthead light. Is this sufficient for all sail and power scenarios? Does the masthead light double as a steaming light? Anchor light? I have only a duplex wire leading to the mast which accommodates the white masthead light. I was contemplating a tri-color on the mast head, but I would have to rewire that circuit to a triplex at least to add a white steaming or anchor light. I want the simplest solution for now. Just use the duplex circuit and stay with the stock lights? (I think this is the correct solution but looking for comments).

Lou G.
AndreK

Re: Nav lights.

Post by AndreK »

Lou

The lights you have are proper except for your lack of a steaming light that you should show under power. The steaming light on my boat is positioned just above the spreaders and should shine forward at an angle of 225 degrees. Because you boat is less than 12 meters long you could replace the steaming and stern light with a 360 white light located at the stern, as you would see on a small power boat. This would be only under power, under sail you would have to revert to your normal stern light 135 degrees aft. As a practical matter you could just use you anchor light as a steaming light until you get the time to install a proper one. I don't think anyone would notice they will just be greatfull you have any lights at all.

Andre
luigisante

Re: Nav lights.

Post by luigisante »

Thanks. I'm trying to keep things as simple as I can to start.

http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/cont ... /4_2_b.php Have been looking at the best options and it looks like the masthead light on a 26' sailboat can be replaced with a 360 deg. light. That might give the best option. R/g stern and masthead all around.