Top of the mast ... what is this ???

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
ar99kid

Top of the mast ... what is this ???

Post by ar99kid »

i was looking at the top of the mast and found this piece ... i really don't know what this is for ? it is about 1" x 1" x 3" and has a round connector with 7 pins
any ideas ?
thanks for looking !
Attachments
20121217_091434mic.JPG
20121217_091434mic.JPG (146.26 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
20121217_091456mic.JPG
20121217_091456mic.JPG (120.64 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
Ron

Re: Top of the mast ... what is this ???

Post by Ron »

It looks like the connector could be for a windspeed transducer. Not sure which manufacturer used 7 pains xx years ago. The coax wire is probably for a vhf antenna.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
ar99kid

Post by ar99kid »

thanks ron !

yes , i have some speed log electronic gauge on the boat : MICRO 210 MULTIFUNCTION SPEED LOG , STOWE.
and also MICRO 200 DIGITAL DEPTH SOUNDER , STOWE.
so maybe i need some wind speed sensor then ...

the black coaxial cable i thought it would be the antenna . do i need a long one like 1-2 m , or because it's in the top of the mast one short like 30cm would be ok as long as it is 156-163 Mhz ?

thanks
Ron

Post by Ron »

Based on the probable age of the boat, I'd replace all of the wiring inside the mast before you step it. Much easier now. You'll need enough coax to reach the plug on the antenna. Maybe leave about 2 feet showing, then cut off the excess when you mount the antenna assembly. Ditto for the wind speed wiring. If all of the instruments are that old as well, think about replacing everything. The newer stuff is a lot better than what they made 30 years ago.
Ron Marcuse
ar99kid

Post by ar99kid »

thanks again ron !

i was looking on the net last night and find my model of wind logger. and you were right , that box is the connector from the wind transducer sensor which i don't have it . it seems that i have the boat speed sensor in the hull , a paddle wheel . i will try to find a used wind transducer for starting and also will do like you have suggested to change all the mast wiring . in the boat will be completely empty of everything and will be redone again from 0 , including electric cables , water lines etc.

PS: i found a wind transducer stowe for an autohelm ST50 , but i don't now if it is compatible with my MICRO unit. didn't find any info about this . from stowe website there are some minor differences in power supply and output type ...
Ron

Post by Ron »

Your best bet is to find the mast top wind speed transducer that is made for your wind speed unit, assuming you have one. If not, any new one would work but with the possibility that the new display unit may not be compatible with your boat speed / depth instruments. The various instruments must interface to display things such as apparent wind vs true wind, etc. The wind instrument needs the boat speed to figure out true wind. That's why you may want to replace everything. Used is probably OK as long as they still work.
Ron Marcuse
ar99kid

Post by ar99kid »

great help from you again ! i will try to find a wind sensor for my unit , but seems pretty hard ...

thanks ron !