Need help with ama hinges

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Andre

Post by Andre »

On my MK1 Telstar I eliminated the bars between the hinges and fabricated new hinges with just one pivot point. This modification makes it much easier to raise the ama into position. The reason for the factory hinge set up was to lower the ama and allow it to move closer to the hull thus reducing the width of boat on the trailer. In most of the USA legal width is 8 1/2 feet so the new set up is no problem.

Andre
Kolla

Post by Kolla »

Andre,
Do You have any pictures how the new hinges look like? It seems like something I need to do also.
Thanks in advance!
Kalle
Andre

Post by Andre »

This is a picture of my hinge arrangement for the amas. I made the hinges from 3/16 inch stainless steel. The hinge pin should be directly under the ama to main hull gap.
The way I made mine was with the amas out in the sailing position I removed the 4 bolts that hold the old hinges on. There are still four additional bolts holding the bracket on so don't worry about the ama falling off. Now that you have the old hinge as a pattern, copy the bases in stainless steel and temporally bolt them on. Use cardboard to make patterns for the hinge parts that project down. These parts look like the letter L . When you are satisfied with these make them in stainless. mark the base plates so you know where to weld the projecting hinge parts. I left just enough space for an 1/8 inch nylon washer. Only drill one hinge in each set for a pin, (I used a 3/8 inch bolt) once the hinges are welded bolt them in place temporally and mark the un-drilled hinge half. Now remove that half and drill the remaining hole for the pin. This keeps you from miss-alining the hinge pin holes and having to make things over again.

good luck
Andre
nantowe

Re: Need help with ama hinges

Post by nantowe »

I am a new member of the association. Last summer I purchased an mk2 that needs a lot of work. My first project is to replace the 3 piece ama hinges with 2 piece hinges. I see in the forum that several of you have already done that, and I wonder if anyone still has templates for the new parts. If not, could anyone give me the measurements of the various pieces. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
Nantowe