Hull nomber ?

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Pat Ross

Hull nomber ?

Post by Pat Ross »

Hi,

here is the link to a discussion with photos we had some time ago regarding Hull Numbers for 26's and 8M's http://www.telstarowners.org/cms/viewto ... f=23&t=275 If you remember standardization did not occur for industry placement of hull numbers in the U.S. until 1973. Each manufacturer had his own method, code and location of placement on the hull prior to that.

One of the issues related to sail numbers is that they may not necessarily be related to the actual Hull Number. How so you ask, turns out that initially the sails were produced to match hull number; as the boats were purchased sometimes new owners would purchase upgraded main sails and that original main that was made for the boat stayed with the manufacturer. Over time to save funds and not waste materials the unused standard mains made for the previously sold boats were sent out with newly constructed boats, these main sails that were sent out with the new boats and the numbers on the main sail did not match the hull number of the boat. My boat had two mains also, neither was the boat number on the hull of the boat I owned.

I tried contacting Telstar to see if there were locations with the structure of the 26's and 8M's where original hull numbers might be located, say somewhere in each ama for example, but I was unable to get a response with any clarity to the issue.

Bottom line is you may or may not have the correct number based on both the mains you have. Your idea of getting the person who owns the boat with the hull number for the main sail numbers you have is a good idea for narrowing down the possibilities.

Good Luck,

Pat