Trina - Telstar 26 - Stern extension and other developments

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
ajaxpc

Post by ajaxpc »

It's a while since I posted, although I've been keeping my blogg more or less (!) up to date.

I reached a landmark on Sunday, though, when I did most of the work of glassing on Trina's new stern. I've taken a different approach to this from some other examples I've seen:

(1) I kept the stern 'open' - it's a sort of sugar scoop shape, but with a draining 'floor' just above the waterline.

(2) I have put in a fixed rudder, but shallow enough for the boat still to be able to take the ground. The rudder will take some pressure on settling, so I've made its mounts and construction fairly substantial to allow this (I hope ...).

I'd be interested in feedback. The blogg is at:

http://telstartrina.blogspot.co.uk/

I'm beginning to feel hopeful about it going in the water some time this season - if even just towards the end. I have a winter mooring I can leave it on, so could sail fairly late, depending on the weather.
JoeWalling

Post by JoeWalling »

Hi Alex

I've been following your blog with interest. Trina looks great. I'm gonna be really interested in your views on the new arrangements, especially the wing decks. I think the negative camber looks spot on and I will interested to know how much lower she settles in the water. Looks like you'll be launching soon - have fun. Cheers. Joe.
ajaxpc

Post by ajaxpc »

I launched Trina yesterday, after a false start the day before.

Two bad outcomes:

(1) She slipped on the yard trailer and punctured her hull on a protruding bolt.

(2) When she was put in the boatlift to be repaired, I discovered cracks in the main hull near the forward ama brackets.

I've fixed (1), and have worked out a plan to fix (2) - and to reinforce the brackets so that this can't happen again.

The whole sad story, with pictures, is on my blog (http://telstartrina.blogspot.co.uk/).

I don't know whether it's just a symptom of the irrepressible optimisim that makes boat ownership seem possible, but overall I'm glad to see her afloat again. Boats are meant to be in the water. Even if they will shortly need to be beached again for further repairs.

Alex.
ajaxpc

Post by ajaxpc »

PS - the photos, and the further photos on my Flickr pages (if you click on the photos in the blog, they link back there) give a good impression of what the raised amas look like.

I haven't noticed much difference sailing yet - but I haven't done much sailing yet. She is quit significantly more heeled over when sitting on the mud.