Removing contact adhesive

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Fatboyfinn

Post by Fatboyfinn »

Spent today removing some 'orrible carpet, glued on the floor of my Mk 2 and I must admit I wasn't looking forward to it.
I'd removed the head lining from the cabin roof last spring and it wasn't fun.
But today I found a way of removing old contact glue - unfortunately, it still needs some grunt.
The trick was to dip the scaper in a pot of water - a lot of
water is not required, it just needs to be a little more than damp.
I discovered it as I was cleaning the bilge hatches - I put them outside, out of the way - it had been raining -
and instead of the glue smearing and reattaching when being scraped, it became a slurry.
I've never liked the idea of softening with petrol and the like.

Worth while giving it a go.......it's cheap too.

Happy Andy
jonathansykes

Post by jonathansykes »

Another way, which I used very successfully last winter, is to use a "face off disc" attached to a drill or grinder.
This is a disc made of a coarse plastic mesh material. It effectively cleans off glue and debris from GRP without damaging the surface.
It is available from Hawkhouse Ltd (http://www.hawkehouse.co.uk) under 'GLUE REMOVER' for £7 - either as a drill attachment or an angle grinder disc.

Regards,
Jonathan
Jonathan Sykes
8m Telstar - "Morning Star"
Chichester. UK.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Try 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover, if it's available in the UK. The stuff takes just about anything off. I've use in while restoring 50 year old cars, and the old dried up adhesive vanishes in seconds. But I'd recommend spraying or brushing a small area first to make sure it doesnt hurt the underlhying gel coat or resin.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"