centre board

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Rick B

centre board

Post by Rick B »

Just taken the boat out at the yard (8 meter Mk 3) and discovered that the lower part of my center board has snapped off.

Two questions, last time I removed the board I had to lift the boat with a crane to drop it from below both time consuming and expensive is it possible to remove from the inside rather than below and if so how I did try this but without sucess ?
Altough a Mk 3 I have the old style case wich arches up below the table with the stops to set the depth by placing a dowel not the flat top of some later 8 meters.

second question does anyone have any details of the board so that I can make a new one it has snapped off at the extended part so that now has a flat end approx 12" below the slot the whole of the shaped area appros 2 ft long is now missing.

I think I have seen drawings of the board somewhere on this site but am unable to locate them.

Any advise /assistance would be greatfully recieved

Rick
Weird Fish
Telstar 8 mtr Mk 3
Fatboyfinn

centre board

Post by Fatboyfinn »

Rick,

Search the forum for "Telstar 26 MK1 Centreboard" and there are some drawings.
As I remember when I took mine out. I removed it from the inside as the boat was
on its trailer. Don't be confused by the bolt that holds the stop block ( that has to come out too) - the centre board bolt is under the floor
and a bugger to get to.

Good luck,

Andy
Fatboyfinn

centre board

Post by Fatboyfinn »

Rick,

As a bit of a dinghy racer - a tip to get the board back is to draw radial lines
from the c/b hole to aid alignment.

Andy
Rick B

centre board

Post by Rick B »

Thanks for the reply I think the configuration of the Mk 3 must be different from the Mk 1 as last time I removed all the bolts both pin and block but I could not get the board to come out from inside, I tried all ways for a number of hours prior to giving up and getting the crane to remove it from below.
I did this to glass a small split in the case then replaced the original board I should have made a new one and replaced it then but things are always simple in hindsight !
I have located the section in the site with the drawing but no dimensions and as I have lost the lower end I guess I will have to just measure the slot from below and take it from there unless anyone has a drawing.
I have also found a posting where someone has said cut off the top of the case for removal then re glass it after re fitting the board but I am not to keen on doing this.
Re fitting, last time I found that a length of string through one side of the casing then through the board and back through the other side of the casing was a good way to locate the bolt hole when pulled tight but thanks for the suggestion.

Rick
Rick B

centre board

Post by Rick B »

Hi Andy

Just searched again with the header you gave me and it has bought up a different page to the one I was looking at this board is basically the same as mine apart from mine has been re shaped from the square bottom to a fin.
The dimensions are just what I need to manufacture anew one all I need now is how to get the old one out !
Thanks again for your help which is very much appreciated

Rick
Mk 3 : 175
luigisante

centre board

Post by luigisante »

Hi RIck,

I have a Mark 1 and removed my CB from the case while on the trailer. With all of the trim off the CB case, it came right out. In a month or so, I'll be putting the new one back in that way (I hope). The early Mark III CB case looks just like mine.

broch1.jpg (36.17 KiB) Viewed 117 times

Since you have the CB case that is similar to the older boats (instead of the enclosed version that was later added to Mark IIIs) I have measurements of my CB and could even send you a tracing if you want. I made my new CB from 2 pieces of Marine Ply with Kevlar sandwiched in the middle. It will probably withstand a lateral impact from an iceberg (where have I heard that before?).

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Lou G.
Rick B

centre board

Post by Rick B »

Hi Lou

Thanks for the reply, if your CB is out and you dont mind taking a tracing it would be a great help, my boat set up is exactly as in the pictures you posted so I guess they should be the same.
Not sure why I had such problems getting it out last time I will definately try again from the inside its not just the cost but I always worry when it is dangling from the end of the crane.

My e mail adress is rrb@aws.co.uk if you could drop me an e mail I will get back with my mailing address.

Thanks for your help

Rick
luigisante

centre board

Post by luigisante »

Email is on its way. I'll get a tracing done this weekend.

Lou
jonathansykes

centre board

Post by jonathansykes »

Center board leaks:
Apart from the seep of water from the cover of the enclosed center board casing in choppy water there is water finding its way into the bilge in my Mk3.
After much scratching of head and forum reading I have determined it is probably coming from where the c/b molding meets the cabin molding. I can make water appear in the bilge by pouring a bucket of water into the top of the casing although none appears when the boat is not sailing.
Do any of you have any experience in curing this fault?

I can only think that I will have to cut away the fiberglass capping, seal the joint and then somehow recreate the capping. Anybody got any other suggestions?

The board attachment quota has been reached, however the link below should show the casing with the top cover removed.
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/ ... ac00d2.jpg

Cheers
Jonathan
Jonathan Sykes
8m Telstar - "Morning Star"
Chichester. UK.
JoeWalling

centre board

Post by JoeWalling »

Hi Jonathan

I am having to do exactly that on HUSH. She is ashore at Dellquay Yacht Yard (PO20 7EE) where I now work. Do pop in sometime, it would be good to finally meet up. At the moment HUSH's centreboard, table and all nearby fixings have been removed, our man at the yard ( also named Jonathan and the craftsman who made HUSH's stern extension ) has spent a week cutting away more and more of her hull from underneath, at the slot area. It appears there has been seepage for a very long time and a scary amount of material has had to be removed to get back to the good stuff. I stopped looking at it a while ago - most depressing. However, I trust our man without reservation and I know that when he puts the boat back together, it will be better rock solid and strong enough to travel the Southern Ocean. It should be finished by the end of this coming week.

I am most intrigued by your centre board housing and would love to see some more pictures if you have any? I can't figure out how it works. I have always thought that the curved one is one of the least attractive of Tony's designs, not least because the fibreglass is 'inside out' and redesigning it is one of my longer term plans. I did not know until now that he came up with another squarer design so would appreciate any photos from yourself or anyone else who has one?

Many thanks,

Joe