Moving a Mk 3

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Peter

Moving a Mk 3

Post by Peter »

I've got a Mk 3 ("ThreeFold") on the south coast and want to bring it up to nottinghamshire to renovate over the winter.

My options are:

1) Buy/build a trailer
2) Have her put on a lorry (low loader?)

Does anyone have either a trailer for sale (or rent? or to borrow?), OR a plan for a trailer (Have seen the 8m plans on the forum, but not sure whether they would fit a 26' mk 3) OR does anyone have any experience of having a Telstar shipped by road in the UK?

Any help/advice very greatfully received! (even if it is of the "let the shipwrecks of others be your land marks" type!)

Best regards

Peter
Threefold
jonathansykes

Moving a Mk 3

Post by jonathansykes »

Peter,

I can only relate what I did last year, but then 'Morning Star' was on a trailer.

I needed to move her from Norfolk to my home in Sussex for renovation, but I did not trust the trailer's integrity for the journey for various reasons.

Inquiries to boat transport companies with low loaders came out very expensive. You need to factor in the cost of a lift or crane onto the low loader, and the cost of a crane off the low loader. Be aware - I thought it might be possible to winch the boat on its trailer up onto a low loader. It was suggested to me that this might not be possible to do, because of the ramp up to the low loader and the amount of length of the trailer ahead of the wheels leading to a grounding of the back end as it tipped up to go up the ramp.

If found one guy who could lift the boat and trailer onto his own trailer and towed the lot behind his Landcruiser for £450.

You can see a picture here, amongst others, that shows "Morning Star" ready to roll on its trailer on top of another trailer:
<http://s844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/ ... ng%20Star/>

If you think this might be of interest then contact David Wolf at http://www.boattransportation.co.uk/.

Andrew has recently had a trailer built, it might be worth having a chat with him. See topic 'Telstar 8m Advice - New to Sailing'

Cheers
Jonathan
Jonathan Sykes
8m Telstar - "Morning Star"
Chichester. UK.
Peter

Moving a Mk 3

Post by Peter »

Jonathan,

Many thanks for the info. I've written to Andrew and will see what advice he might have.

I have found quite a number of boat moving services on e-bay, so will get quotes from them as well. Initial numbers are around the £500 mark for a move from Langstone Harbour (Portsmouth) to Nottinghamshire. The return trip appears to be around the price of buying and modifying a trailer.

Any idea how much a Telstar really weighs? I've seen numbers from 1500kg all the way to 3000. Anything up to 2 tone means that most lorries with their on-board cranes have the capacity to pick up a Telstar and swing her on to a standard bed. However above 2 tons and the length and weight mean that a separate crane is required.

My alternative is to sail the boat around Kent, up to Lowestoft and on to the Humber, which really appeals! However it looks like it'll be expensive and time consuming, as I can only sail weekends, and therefore I'll be paying a lot of marina fees. Unless anyone has already made this trip and knows on good inexpensive moorings. I'm thinking of phoning the sailing clubs and seeing if they have any ideas

Best regards

Peter
Threefold
jonathansykes

Moving a Mk 3

Post by jonathansykes »

Peter,
No idea what a Mk3 really weighs. Can only go by the manufacturers brochures.
Mine is a "Lightweight" version. However I reckon you will not be far out saying just under 2000kg!
This is a good figure when it comes to quotes.
Regards,
Jonathan.
Jonathan Sykes
8m Telstar - "Morning Star"
Chichester. UK.
Fatboyfinn

Moving a Mk 3

Post by Fatboyfinn »

Peter,

I moved my Mk 2 on a lorry with a hiab behind the cab. It was in an awkward position - the driver was able to lift the whole boat + trailer over the
back of the lorry. I would suggest making some wooden cradles to sit the main hull in. Then the boat and cradle could be lifted as one on to the lorry and strapped down.
Must admit I was slightly amused by the original brochure showing the whole boat and trailer being pulled by an Austin Maxi!

Good Luck
Andy

Telstar Mk2 No 127
Fatboyfinn

Moving a Mk 3

Post by Fatboyfinn »

Peter.

I used SouthWest Crane Hire - very helpful and also cash payment seems to nullify the VAT.

Andy
Peter

Moving a Mk 3

Post by Peter »

Jonathan, Andy,

Many thanks for the advice.

Just seen a 2.5 ton capacity boat trailer advert which expired on e-bay at £250 with no bidders so will see what I can do to secure.

Do either of you know if there are any hull section drawings for a Mk3 on the forum so that I can build a cradle/support, either for lorry shipping of for this trailer? I've seen the 8m trailer drawings, but have no idea whether they are useful for the 26' boats

Best regards

Peter
JoeWalling

Moving a Mk 3

Post by JoeWalling »

Hi Peter

Its not a particularly good shot but you will find attached a view of HUSH's stands. These were purpose made for the job. They are basically 'U' shaped steel cradles about 10 inches wide with legs and feet welded to give an A frame shape. The front one is different to the rear, following the different hull curvatures. The 'U' bit is seperated from contact with the hull using strips of the same rubber sections as are used to protect the hull to superstructure joins of the boat - I think they call it continuous fender. They work really well and when HUSH is loaded onto these, I can walk around the side decks with no further support to any of the hulls.

Some options:

1 You can view these, take photos and measurements, as you please.
2 My local yard could fabricate some for you and of course this applies to any other T1 owners
3 You can borrow them for your trip, as long as HUSH doesn't need them at the time ( I will probably lift out in January)

I can make enquiries at the yard about delivery. They have a subcontractor with a pick up truck and a trailer who I'm sure will do it at a good price and of course I can lend him the cradles.

I'll answer your questions about the stern extension seperately but I'm really pleased with it. Now here's a thought. Why not get it done before you move away? The guy who did mine is still at the yard and having done HUSH he can surely do another one. Then you can have cradles made and get the boat transported. Job done!

Anyway I'd love to see your boat before you leave this area.

Cheers. Joe
Fatboyfinn

Moving a Mk 3

Post by Fatboyfinn »

I was thinking about making a "cradle" that attached to the struts thereby making the hull and amas accessable and off the ground. May be legs would be a better discription.
I am thinking about "KeeKlamp" fitting to brace the legs. Any thoughts about that.

Andy
isaacsman

Moving a Mk 3

Post by isaacsman »

Joe/Peter

These are the photos of the stands taken by Boatshed which might be helpful

Mike