Hurricane preparation

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
petrel

Hurricane preparation

Post by petrel »

As many folks know we on the east coast of the U.S.A. had a visit from Hurricane Irene last weekend. Fortunately my boat at present is on jack stands in the boatyard and not in the water. However, on land it is vulnerable to high winds blowing it off jack the stands because of the large surface area of the wings and the boat being elevated from the ground. To help prevent this I add about 800 lbs of water to each of the outer hulls. Then after the storm has gone drain the hulls. Obviously it is prudent to ensure that the outer hulls are well supported when doing this.

I have been doing this for years now. I drained the hulls today and the boat is fine.

Geoffrey
Peter

Hurricane preparation

Post by Peter »

Geoffrey,

Your post has led me to ask for advice as towhere to chock a Telstar when on dry land. I've got to bring a mk3 ashore for the first time and I'm simply assuming that I can chock the main hull under the forward and aft bulkheads carrying the entire load of the boat , with simple support for the amas to stop the boat rocking (No significant load bearing). is this correct or is it best to distribute the wieght in a different fashion?

Also, how easy is it to remove the straps that hold the "wings" in place and thereby lower the amas? in your experience should I be planning to have a cutting torch/angle grinder/hacksaw on hand?

Best regards

Peter
petrel

Hurricane preparation

Post by petrel »

Peter,

I am sorry I did not see your post earlier.

When my boat is on land I typically support the main hull and both amas. The main hull forwad block is slightly forward of the centerboard trunk and under the front bulkhead, essentially supporting both. The second is at the aft bulkhead near the head, and I have a screwjack at the stern. I also use wooden wedges to simulate a curved support. For the amas I use two tall "vee shaped" screw jacks for each hull. Each positioned at about a third of the ama's length.

At first I did not use a screw jack at the stern of the main hull but decided to add it after I noticed some hull deflection when there were several people in the cockpit.

Like you I think most of the support is bourne by the main hull blocks. The outer hull supports are mainly to prevent the boat rotating about its center hull when someone is standing on the ama. I typically screw the outer hull jacks until they just touch and then about a quater of a turn more.

I have never lowered the amas with the boat blocked up on land. However, there is a lot of information on this forum from others who have done it successfully. As for the hack saw and cutting torch. Maybe soaking the nuts and bolts with "Liquid Wrench" or equivalent would do it. I recently used a product named "PB Blaster Penetrating Catalyst" on some broken studs on my outboard motor and was surprised that it worked. But it did take a month of applications and gently testing the studs until they loosened.

Oh, one more thing. When I first get to my boat if I have been away from it for a while I always check its supports.

I hope this helps
Geoffrey