Altering the height of the wingdecks

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
petrel

Post by petrel »

Alex,

I share your frustration. For me it is going on 9 years. Hang in there!

Back to the original topic. Obviously different Telstar models will have very different characteristics. Consequently what applies to my 8m may not apply to others. Pardon my shortsightedness.

I look forward to the results of these hull lifting experiments and as Alex noted you can always switch it back.

Good luck
Geoffrey
jonathansykes

Post by jonathansykes »

Joe,
We need to get together with our boats.
The outriggers on my MK3 have been raised, so you need to come for a sail and see what you think.
Curiously it does not wobble as you walk from side to side, and if sailing in flat water I think the windward float barely touches the water. At sea of course it does not lift high enough to miss the waves anyway. Probably the highest benefit comes in light winds.

Talking of which this summer has been really windy. I had this week free but the wind has not been less than 20kts for days so have stayed at home. Going abroad on holiday next week. Forecast - light winds and 28 degs C - yippee!

Will try to meet up before the season is out. Promise!

Cheers all,
Jonathan
Jonathan Sykes
8m Telstar - "Morning Star"
Chichester. UK.
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

petrel wrote: For me it is going on 9 years.
I think I have you beat ... :D

Lou
JoeWalling

Post by JoeWalling »

Just before you all shake your heads in amazement when you read this, I want to point out that soft drugs are still illegal (more or less) over here and that, despite having been a teenager in the 60's, dubious phamaceutical products were never my bag....

I know we all say this but I've no intention of ever selling my boat. There is nothing about her that I either don't like or can't see a way of changing to suit my preference. You can imagine from these threads that I have spent a fair bit on her already. I don't like the look of her from dead ahead - the windows and the toe-in of the outer hulls, as I have previously mentioned.

I'm considering any of the following:

1 Alex's (Trina) plan of swopping wing support brackets back to front and elongating the front ones. I think this could be very interesting.
2 Replacing my outer hulls with the wider Mark3/8m ones if I can find any.
3.Making up completely new outer hulls,keeping the shape of the outer amas but having a spar and trampoline arrangement as per the T2s. I would need to end up with a boat at least 18ft wide and with sufficent buoyancy to compare with that of the current hulls.I could build in the toe-out angles I'd like. This boat would probably not fold - the width is not much of an issue where I am as the shallow draft allows me to take up berthing in places where others can't.
4. Source , if possible, some T2 hulls together with the folding mechanisms and modify my central hull to accommodate them.

I would always keep my original hulls somewhere,just in case.

Hmmm......
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

As I read on, I understand your preamble better.

Lou
JoeWalling

Post by JoeWalling »

Ah yes -my sense of humour does not always travel well electronically! My wacky ideas will probably just stay that way but you never know. Interestingly, my local yard - the one which did the stern extension - have asked my wife and I to help them out on the admin/business mgmnt side so anything I do decide to do is likely to be very cost effective. So we are both back to work more or less full time. This is OK and its nice to be able to put our dormant skills to work again but it has co-incided with some of the nicest sailing conditions we have experienced all summer. Never mind - there is always the weekend.

Cheers.Joe