Bowsprit ideas

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
petrel

Bowsprit ideas

Post by petrel »

Joe and Ron,

Thanks for the information. It is all very helpful. I have already spoken to Dave Bierig regarding making my screacher which will probably happen next season. I am hoping to get my 8m back in the water a "play around" with my old sails in anticipation of getting additional data for the new sails. This includes flying an old drifter on a wire luff to test how the bowsprit works. I also have an old downwind spinnaker in a snuffer for direct downwind sailing. And I will be testing a new roller furler using my old fore sails to determine the best combination for sailing the Chesapeake Bay.

After so many years not sailing the boat I think it will be more of a learning experience for me than rather than testing the gear. As you both know Telstars are rather special so I am really looking forward to being back on board again.

Thanks again
Geoffrey
Ron

Bowsprit ideas

Post by Ron »

Geoffrey -

You may have one other option. Facnor makes an asymmetrical spinnaker furler (ASM-FX) that supposedly works on any asymmetrical. I plan on looking at it this fall or winter at one of the shows. Being single or short handed much of the time, I'd use mine more often if it could be easily rolled out and then back in. It seems to start rolling in the middle of the luff before the two ends, thereby giving the extra material a place to go. Boat performance with the much bigger sail should be better than with the screecher, especially downwind. This is the url -

http://www.facnor.com/uk/products/asym_spi_furlers/default.asp
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
isaacsman

Bowsprit ideas

Post by isaacsman »

Geoffrey

There is a similar product available in the UK. I have this on my 8 metre racing tri. I already had a Facnor furler which I had tried with my asymmetric spinnaker on a fixed bowsprit but was not happy with the furling particularly in stronger winds. I had my sail modified by Crusader sails and the system now works well and the sail furls well.

http://www.crusadersails.co.uk/magic_fu ... urling.htm

Crusader call it the Magic Furl.

Mike
petrel

Bowsprit ideas

Post by petrel »

Ron & Mike,

Thanks for the info. I intend to evaluate some screacher furlers at the Boat Show later in the year and hope that both Facnor and Crusader are there. As for my sailmaker I will probably stay with Dave Bierig who is quite a legend in multihull sailmaking in the U.S. And a uniquely interesting fellow as well.

Mike you said your previous sail would not furl well on the Facnor furler and you had is modified by Crusader. What did they do to make if furl better?

Thanks again
Geoffrey
isaacsman

Bowsprit ideas

Post by isaacsman »

Geoffrey

The simplest thing is to take a photo but it will be next week before I can do it. I will post it towards the end of next week.

Mike