Anybody know where to get Mark 1 electrical parts?

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

I am replacing the wires, but want to keep the wiring set-up as close to original as possible (adding a few circuits). I am looking for fuse holders in the same configuration as the original. Here it is:

fuse.jpg (11.73 KiB) Viewed 50 times

fuse2.jpg (9.05 KiB) Viewed 50 times

The fuse holder looks like a standard panel holder until you look at the back. It has a pigtail with a female blade connector and has a 2 prong male connector. Some of the others only have a single male blade with the pigtail. Is this a British design or just a 60s thing? Can I get this configuration? Or, am I better just starting from scratch and reconfiguring the circuits? Most of my ceiling is open and is available for running wires.

Any help is appreciated.

Lou Giansante
Ron

Post by Ron »

Lou -

As a long time restorer of old cars, I sort of recomend getting fuse holders or panels which hold currently available fuses. A lot of the 40 year old stuff is hard to find, and is all vastly inferior to the equipment made now (especially the British electrics from the 50's, 60's and 70's - with apolgies to our friends across the pond). I just installed a modern fuse and relay center in a 49 year old tube frame Corvette race car. It's about 1,000 percent better than what they made back then. If your goal is to stay original, forget about this (and carry a lot of spares with you).

Even better - a marine grade fuse panel which you can mount near the nav station or ??
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

Ron

As an owner of a 1965 MGB for 6 years, I can attest to the problems with British Electrical systems (can you say Lucas Electric?). I year you on the new panel and rewiring. But, with the cabin looking like it is going to be finished this summer, my thought was to putting the boat back together with as little work as possible so that I can get it to a boatyard and sailing for the fall. Because my boat saw so little actual use before it was abandoned in a Texas Boatyard, the wiring is servicable. I had a friend look at and test it for continuity. I need panel fuse holders and toggle switches to make it work.

I have a fairly decent set of skills for rebuiling a boat, but the weakest link is electrical. I was trying to avoid taclking another project that would require more planning, thought and work than it is worth ATM. I was thinking that I could revisit the electrical issues after initial sea trials this fall.

Your comments are well considered, however, and I'll give this matter some more thought as I move along with the cabin. Don't know if you've been following the progress, but the inside of the boat is starting to look great.

Lou

BTW Ron, what is the story about dues? I don't think I've paid any for quite some time (or ever?).
Ron

Post by Ron »

Lou -

As the only active Board member, I decided a year or two ago to not collect renewals from existing members until we acutally need the money. New members should pay the $10 just to make thinks equal. If and when we start running out of money, this will obvioulsy change.

I'd be leary about using old electrics in a new or restored boat, especially British (with my aplogies to those over there). I've owned (and restored) MG's, Jag's, Triumph's and a Sunbeam Tiger. I love the cars, but Lucas is not exactly a symbol for reliability. Why not install a new fuse/relay panel and replace the old wiring as needed. But note that old wires tend to deteriorate quickly, and probably even faster in a marine environement.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

Thanks for being the voice of reason. I think you're right about the new panel. I took a long look at the electrical system this weekend and decided that I should make some positional changes anyway that are going to require running new wires. I might as well do it right.

Lou