Telstar 8m advice - New to sailing

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
JoeWalling

Post by JoeWalling »

Hi Jonathan

Great pictures giving me lots of ideas especially in respect of HUSH's rather plain interior - currently. I particularly like your galley area for ideas.
Our boats are about 3 miles from one another. If you fancy meeting up for a drink and a chat, maybe at our sailing club - ESSC - give me a call on 07971827990 or email kjwalling@tiscali.co.uk

I think there are now 6 older Telstars in Chichester harbour. Cheers. Joe
jonathansykes

Post by jonathansykes »

Petrel,
Just had a couple of days aboard, and my wind gremlins are back - headwind outbound, headwind homeward.

No idea about the centerboard up/down hauls. I don't think I have seen two systems the same yet. The crank by the electrics panel is the crank for the roller reefing. That has had much use, which leads me to a question.
The boat came with no kicking strap system. I have fitted a boom claw an connected it to the mast shoe bolt. I am not entirely happy with this arrangement as it could bend the bolt. Any other suggestions?

Joe,
Be glad to meet up sometime, whats you availability? - are you free weekdays?
I try to get down when the wife goes to work. She works part time and I work part time as well.

What has happened to the summer anticyclones? All these strong winds and depressions are demoralizing. The seasons are out of kilter. Summer in springtime, Autumn in Summer, I'm glad I fitted a heater if winter is next on the list.

Cheers all

Jonathan
Jonathan Sykes
8m Telstar - "Morning Star"
Chichester. UK.
petrel

Post by petrel »

Johnathan,

Sorry to hear of the bad weather. I fear that with Global Warming it maybe here to stay.

Interesting about the crank. Mine ended up as a centerboard crank! Hence my confusion. Now I am really curious about what other 8M's have for centerboard controls. Apparently I incorrectly assumed your centerboard control lines are the ones on the top of your centerboard case - which I referred to earlier as an uphaul and downhaul. How is your centerboard raised and lowered?

As for the kicking strap/boom vang issue I think a larger boom to cabin top clearance is needed to have an arrangement like you describe work satisfactorily. Also you have the additional issues because of your roller reefing boom. My boat has slab reefing and smaller boom sweep angle than yours. Which allows me to use an adjustable kicking strap line on port and starboard each reeved through blocks on the outer edge of the amas. The lines each have snap hooks that I attach and detach to the end of the boom. It works but is far from ideal because for each tack I have to unsnap one line and snap on the other. I need a better system as well.

The F-27 Trimaran also has a roller reefing boom. I assume they have some sort of kicking strap/boom vang. Maybe you could find a solution there?

Cheers
Geoffrey