Telstar 8m advice - New to sailing

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
jonathansykes

Post by jonathansykes »

Hi Andrew,

Well it seems we are almost in the same boat!
Towards the end of last year I purchased a Mk lll 8m called 'Morning Star' that had been sitting on dry land for about 8 yrs and unused and un-cared for. The owner had even drilled holes in the outriggers, hull, and cockpit to drain away rain water as she lay ashore!
I have been very busy refurbishing the interior over winter and have only just launched her. Needless to say she is very much unfinished, but will she ever be?
The sail number is 198, and I think, like yours is a lightweight version. I can only deduce this by the thinness of the mouldings and the low standard of the fit out. None of the deck fittings had had backing pads or even penny washers for strength.

As I write I have yet to sail her. Sunday on the south coast was a washout with rain and gale force winds.
Regrettably I have few photos as I am not good at recording events or progress. I do have a few pre refurbishment which can be seen on the link below.
The previous owner made one or too alterations to the rigging to facilitate raising and lowering of the mast, and also raised the out-riggers a little in the belief it would go a little faster. We shall see.

Your stainless steel replacements do sound like a bargain.

Incidentally the boat I have sold, a Hunter Liberty 23, was supplied by Dickies of Bangor, and from where I purchased her ten years ago.

I would be happy to exchange ideas and photos to assist you. Just let me know.

You can try this link below to see a photo or two. Not very exciting or informative I'm afraid.

http://s844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/ ... ng%20Star/
Jonathan Sykes
8m Telstar - "Morning Star"
Chichester. UK.
JoeWalling

Post by JoeWalling »

Hi Andrew

You must be near to me and HUSH - we are in Emsworth. You?
petrel

Post by petrel »

johnathansykes,

Welcome aboard. And yet another 8m lightweight Telstar owner. Fantastic, there are now three of us. Your boat is very similar to mine with the only differences being the two lockers in the forepeak - my boat has none. And the four burner stove - my boat has a two burner with broiler underneath.
Like my boat, yours does not have mast spreaders. Is it a fractional rig? I am also curious about the bowsprit because I am in the process putting one on my boat.

You are correct about the poor quality construction and lack of backing plates etc. The best backing plate material I have found for this is commonly refereed to as G-10 in the U.S.A. A military grade epoxy board that comes in thicknesses from about 1/32" to 1". Its advantages are it is extremely strong, will not corrode or rot, and can be epoxied in place.

Fair winds
Geoffrey
petrel

Post by petrel »

johnathansykes,

In haste I omitted to mention that your boat really looks great. The interior looks quite yachty - not an easy task with the bare bones factory interior. And the non-skid highlights on the outside really add a nice touch.

Cheers
Geoffrey
jonathansykes

Post by jonathansykes »

JoeWalling wrote:Hi Andrew

You must be near to me and HUSH - we are in Emsworth. You?
Yes, just launched last week and have been waiting for a reasonably calm day for a Maiden Voyage, which I didn't get.

I have a mooring off Cobnor. 6th mooring on the left as you turn into Bosham Channel.

I managed a short trip out to sea in a F5-F6 for a shake down, which revealed a few interesting points - like water leaking through the centreboard suspension bolts, a furling genoa not furling, and where to fix a kicking strap lower attachment point for the roller reefing boom.

What I found quite remarkable was how well it handled whether under just the Main or just the Genoa.

Can anyone tell me? - Is it normal to expect a little movement of the amas. This was drawn to my attention by some very disturbing grating noises at the junction of the port ama to the hull where the fibreglass is rubbing together.

Jonathan Sykes
MkIII - Morning Star
Jonathan Sykes
Chichester. UK.
petrel

Post by petrel »

Johnathan,

Some possible causes of the noises:
Excess clearance in the hinge pins allowing the hinges to move in relation to one another.
Excess fore and aft clearance in the hinges allowing fore and aft movement between the outer hull and main hull
Hinge mounting bolts loose
Strut bolts loose.
Strut flanges loose.
Outer hulls high causing interference between the outer edges of the wing deck and main deck.
Junk trapped between the edge of the wing deck and main hull deck.
Inner stays(shrouds) on the mast pulling the deck up and down at the U bolt on the wing deck. This depends on how your boat is rigged.

Hope this helps
Geoffrey

P.S. Would you please give us details of your boats rig. Masthead or fractional rig. Spreaders if any. Forestay location. Inner and outer shrouds details.
jonathansykes

Post by jonathansykes »

Petrel,
Re Rigging.

The rigging has been modified to assist in raising the mast single handed. A picture would is worth a thousand words, so I will take loads of photos in due course.

It's a fractional rig with a braced mast.
There are two back stays. These are attached to a s/s plate bolted on to the aft end of each ama.
There are two fore stays. One going to the outer end of the bowsprit. The other to the prow which is the furling genoa.
There are two side stays that have been moved to s/s plates bolted on to the outside of the amas in line with the mast.
There are two shrouds that attach to U bolts through the hull lip adjacent to the window. These frighten me because they flex so much.
There are three mast jumpers, or braces I call them. A forward jumper passing over a strut on the forward face of the mast. Two side jumpers passing over the aft raked cross trees.
The inner fore stay has been removed. I don't really know if this is ok, but it does make single handed tacking a lot easier.

The masthead has a s/s bespoke fitting to take this rig and supports nav light and aerial etc.
All 4 halyards have been bought down inside the mast and exit at a bespoke fitting at the foot. No slappers on this boat!
Jonathan Sykes
Chichester. UK.
petrel

Post by petrel »

Johnathan,

There are some interesting modifications on your rig. I envy your halyards inside the mast. Am curious about the split backstay arrangement. Does the end of the boom clear these stays? I also did not like the way the inner shrouds flex the deck so I discarded the U bolts and attached the shrouds to new chainplates fixed on the sides of the inner hull. No more flexing and no more grating sounds which is something that you may want to try.

On your rig it sounds like combination of the forward jumper and the aft raked cross trees keep the mast from bending in the middle alleviating the need for an inner forestay. My rig has neither so it needs the inner forestay. In light airs I temporarily remove it and in heavier air reattach it. I added a high field lever to make it easy to remove and replace.

You mentioned a bowsprit. How long is it where does its attach up the mast?

Thanks
Geoffrey
jonathansykes

Post by jonathansykes »

Hi guys,
I have just tried to get a few days sailing but there was a little too much wind for relaxed sailing. This did provide a first for me - that is to to say surfing down a wave at 15kts in a F6 gusting F7 with only a reefed main. That may be a slight exaggeration as the log has yet to be calibrated - my guess it was really nearer 13kts.

I have taken more photos so that you can have a look at the bits and pieces of Morning Star (Mk III, Sail No 198)

I hope this link to Photobucket works for you, let me know if it doesn't:
http://s844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/ ... ng%20Star/

Any more questions let me know.

Regards
Jonathan Sykes.
Jonathan Sykes
Chichester. UK.
petrel

Post by petrel »

Johnathan,

Thanks for posting all the great photos. They answer many questions but also generate more.

Your boat looks really nice and all it's modifications change it from a standard 8M to a boat that should be very good offshore and easy and safe to sail. I think this was attested by your recent sail.

It appears that the rig modifications have eliminated all the problems of the original. The twin backstays stiffen the rig and I assume allow for a larger than standard mainsail area. The bowsprit allows for huge masthead hoisted light air foresails. The side stays no longer restrict the boom swing. And not having a baby stay must really make tacking easier.

Do you know the reasoning for the centerboard controls. An up haul and a down haul instead of the standard crank? Which BTW I notice is sitting below the instrument panel.

I have many more questions but will save them for other posts.

Your have a really nice Telstar a credit to both the previous owner's and your work.
Geoffrey