The Telstar MakeOver

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
JoeWalling

The Telstar MakeOver

Post by JoeWalling »

Found this really interesting blog. The boat is in Norway and the text is in Norwegian, with some hilarious Google translations. It's a Mark1 I believe and I have seen the boat bofore on other media - the stern extension is in an old Telstar letter, for example. Some great internal ideas, particularly the replacement mast support. I can't figure out what he is doing / has done with the centreboard. Any ideas? It may be a daggerboard.

http://trlz.blogspot.com/
luigisante

The Telstar MakeOver

Post by luigisante »

He is doing some interesting stuff to the inside of a Mark 1. Novel treatment on the Companionway. I particularly like the light right above the doorway. I'm not sure about the reconfiguring of the mast step. I think that could be problematic. I guess we'll see. I like the setees. Mine are going to look something like that, except the back will not have as much rake. I like the teak and holly floor. I'm going to try to veneer my plywood floors with 1/4" teak and holly plywood. Nice effort. Not sure how practicle the set up is.

Lou
petrel

The Telstar MakeOver

Post by petrel »

Very interesting design with really nice work and the sense of a large space is quite remarkable. I assume the curved beam and diagonal bracing supports the mast? But because of its location the bunks/settees will be shorter than original? Would this be an issue in the Mark 1s? I look forward finding out more details and seeing more of its construction.

Geoffrey
luigisante

The Telstar MakeOver

Post by luigisante »

The closer I look at the way he opened the front window area in to the cabin, the more I like it. The laminated piece supports the mast - that makes me squirm a bit. He made it very roomy and light in there.

Lou