Another centerboard question

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
JoeWalling

Post by JoeWalling »

Well, that's how mine works.Its a very tight fit and takes some muscle to lift it up and down but it stays in whatever position you put it - just by its own weight and the friction of the case. In the 2+ years I have been sailing my Mk11 the board has never lifted when I did'nt want it to and it has never not lifted when it needed to - I have run aground twice and it has swivelled up on both occasions, just enough to clear the obstacle. No extra rope or levers are needed.

Joe
Ron

Post by Ron »

You better check the total height of the board and compare it to the distance from the top of the trunk to the cabin top. I don't think you can do this on a 28, not sure about the 26 and 8M. My board must be over 6 feet long from end to end (over 5 feet under the boat plus another foot or so inside the trunk). Angling it may help, but I'm not sure if it would come out.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
petrel

Post by petrel »

bombayducky,

The centerboard on my 8M is buoyant and will float up into the centerboard case if the board is rotated about halfway. In some respects having a buoyant centerboard is not a bad thing because when it is down it provides a small amount of additional buoyancy to boat. However, mine does require locking in the down position. My method was to add an external crank inside the boat to the centerboard control shaft. A bungi chord on the crank is held by a cleat that releases at a preset load. It works well. But I wish there was some way to operate the centerboard from the cockpit. Mainly because I sail in the Chesapeake Bay which is really shallow and groundings are commonplace and going in and out of the cabin to raise and lower the centerboard is a pain.

I have considered having an uphaul and downhaul that go from the centerboard trunk up thru the cabin top and then leading back along the cabin top to the cockpit. It would require a stainless steel tube inside the boat from the centerboard trunk to the cabin top to house the lines. The tube could also act as a compression post for the mast. But, I have not worked out all the details of this idea.

As for removing the centerboard from inside the boat. It would require a modified mounting system of the c'board and modification to the c'board trunk. Because the c'board is held in place by a frame consisting of two tapered planks on either side. These planks slide into corresponding tapered vertical slots in the sides of the c'board trunk. So it can only be installed and removed from below. The tapered pieces can be seen on the video of Tony working on the centerboard.

To make the c'board removable from above would require:

1. Making the top of the trunk removable and waterproof.
2. Changing the c'board mounting frame sides to parallel.
3. Changing the corresponding slots in the c'board trunk to parallel.
4. Increasing the support of the c'board frame because the tapered sides on the existing set up probably act to prevent the c'board from pushing up into the cabin.

Hope this helps
Geoffrey
Fatboyfinn

Post by Fatboyfinn »

Far as I remember on my Mk 2 I took the board out from the inside without a problem.
Getting it back - I used the time tested lines radiating from the bolt hole to locate.
One day I must have a look at it as its been in the water for 3 years since I "Coppercoated" the bottom including the
board.

Andy Mk 2 127 Diva